Ever notice how you never have to sharpen your steak knives? The serrated edge keeps its ability to cut much longer than a straight edge, but some of the trade-offs are you don’t get as clean a cut and it’s not fun to sharpen. Neither of these disadvantages matter for many tasks you’d use a utility knife for, as you’d probably rather work longer without stopping to change blades.

Rapid Tools manufactures Rapid Edge blades for your utility knife. They claim the blades last longer because the serrated edge has three to five times the cutting surface of a straight blade. This reduces friction, keeping the blade sharper longer. While you might not want to use the Rapid edge for cutting drywall it supposedly works well on materials like carpet, wire, rope, and asphalt shingles.

Rapid Edge Blades fit all standard utility knives. They come in packs of 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100 blades and start around $4 for a five-pack.

Rapid Edge Blades [Rapid Tools]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

8 Responses to Serrated Edge Utility Blades

1. Shopmonger says:

These are great for carpet and other material…… even fiber glass cuts easier with these

Don Biery

2. Eli says:

We sell them at the store I work at, infrequently though. They do work well, but it’s hard to justify the cost when normal utility blades are available for pennies.

3. Mosleyh says:

Kobalt (Lowe’s) has a version as well

4. Brau says:

If I buy a set now will I get another set for free and an apple peeler too?

5. Mark Johnson says:

Outstanding blades, we use nothing but Rapid Edge for all applications in home improvement. Well worth a few pennys more, lasting quality makes them a bargin.

6. Nate says:

Now the question is: Why are there two-notch and three-notch utility blades? Can’t someone make a universal blade, or could we declare one the winner and banish the other? It’s like 30 different bolt patterns for car wheels..

7. Ty says:

How will these blades hold up when I’m cutting 45 different types of carpet and vinyl on the warehouse floor a couple hundred times a day? I recently switched from a Turbo Knife X to a regular old plastic Benchmark Olfa snap-off knife simply because it cuts and retains it’s edge so much better….Only thing is I had to sacrifice the marginally quicker deployment of the Turbo Knife to get that better cut.

Ideally, I would like to get some of these serrated blades so I can go back to using the Turbo knife and my other folding utility knife, but I work my blades hard.