Today you can buy a mower with a guaranteed start on the first or second pull — a huge improvement over my old 10+ pull mower — but why does it still come with a cheap plastic T-handle which can be hard for some people to pull? If this bothers you, replace it with the Start-Me-Up handle from Meteor.

Available in red, green, or gray, the Start-Me-Up D-shaped plastic handle is covered in a soft-grip rubber material that’s more comfortable than a hard plastic T-handle. Included with the handle is 84″ of Duratuff starter rope in case you also need to replace the pull cord. Pricing for the handle starts at $7.

Start Me Up [Meteor]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Start-Me-Up Replacement Handle

1. Fourmat says:

Bought one of these a few months back to replace the pull on my tiller. The pull handle is really nice, but quality of rope they use is really bad. I snapped the rope about 5 times, before I finally realized how bad the rope material was. I replaced the rope with the stock Briggs rope and haven’t had a problem since.

2. Toolaremia says:

I suspect part of the purpose of the cheap, small T-handle is that if the mower kicks back the T will rip out of your hand fairly easily. That may be why this big handle comes with a cheap rope as Fourmat mentions; to prevent you from breaking or tearing body parts instead.

3. @Toolaremia:

I had to do a little visualization with my fingers, and yes if the motor starts to turn backwards it’ll pull the rope with it. While it is technically possible has anybody actually had this happen?

I’ve operated a bunch of different types of pull start engines for many years and never had this happen to me. Given I’m not pull starting things as often as say a guy who works for a lawn service.

4. Toolaremia says:

Back in my youth we had a Toro lawn tractor that was pull-start. Not the rear-engine mowers, but a real front-engined tractor. I’m serious. We also had a commercial Toro push mower – the kind with the big separate tank on the back and big rear wheels. Both were a bitch to start. Both kicked-back, though rarely. More often I would start the pull too close to the compression stroke and it would just *stop*, and SCHPRANG, there goes the T-handle… 🙂

5. Kurt says:

Call me old school, but I like a 5 inch piece of dowel (or old broomstick) chamfered on the ends with a hole drilled slightly larger than the rope. Works for overhead garage doors pulls too.

6. Mike47 says:

A nice piece off a broken axe handle works nice, too.

7. joe says:

I am without an opinion on rope handles, but I do love starter fluid!!!

My clunker of a lawnmower (garage sale $10) starts on the first of second pull every time – with just a spritz of fluid under the air filter.

Won’t start at all without it.

Tune-up in a can!!!