Almost like training wheels for hooking up trailers, the Couple Mate helps guide your trailer hitch over the ball as you back up, so you don’t have to constantly get out and check.

Made from steel and double-dipped in zinc to help withstand the rigors of use, the Couple Mate fits most receiver hitch and ball combos. Slide the base over your trailer hitch and then install the ball through it and the hitch to hold it in place. The wings then slip into the base when you want to hook up the trailer and slip out again after you’re done, so nobody need ever know.

You’ll pay about $50 for the Couple Mate after shipping.  If you visit the homepage, watch out for the annoying self-starting video.

Couple Mate [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

9 Responses to Self-Aligning Trailer Hitch Guide

1. Chad says:

Doesn’t do much good if you trailer is at the wrong height. Could be helpful in some situations but for $50 I’d build my own or just do without.

2. Brew says:

I don’t think it would hold up to my truck and trailers. I bought a Swift Hitch backup camera and love it. no more jumping in and out of the truck to see how close I am.

Brew

3. Deano says:

I own this item and it does its job.
    You have to use common sense with it. Don’t have your trailer hitch a foot above it and don’t back up at 20 mph.to it.
    But it works well and is a lot cheaper than those video cameras.

4. rjerryc says:

Pretty basic device – why not just determine the distance back from the ball and weld a similar device right on there? Sure be cheaper. Besides, reading reviews will make you think twice. A lot of issues with the thing bending and the bull-nose hitches not allowing the hitch to be over the ball. If you weld your own, you can place it exactly where you need it on your hitch. I’d bet a local welding shop could do the whole job for you for $25
    Of course, there is the magnetic telescoping devices that HF regularly puts on sale for about 10 bucks.

5. Dr Bob says:

Neither of my trailers are so heavy that I can’t get the truck close, then move the trailer and place the tongue on the ball. And you still have to get out and latch the tongue, connect the wiring and attach the safety chains.

6. owldog says:

I’m having a problem with the couple mate. I just got it and realized it is made for a 1″ shank diameter ball. Trouble is, I bought it for a class II hitch which takes a 3/4″ diameter. There was nothing in any of the sales ads about that. I guess they pretend people with class II trailers don’t exist. anyway, calling the company in the morning and emailed my ebay vendor. I’ll let you know what they say.

7. not certain if this is the suitable place to ask, still We have two waverunners at 700 lbs each and I have a 2000 jeep cherokee sport four. litre without a towing package deal. What trailer hitch should I purchase?

8. pencilpusher says:

My driveway slopes up. When I back the trailer in the tongue is downhill with the wheels chocked. It’s tough to move the trailer around manually to drop it on the ball when it’s close. It’s not possible or safe to move the trailer around manually with the wheels unchocked. So the Couple Mate (or any similar guide)is perfect. The trailer is set to the proper height, I back up, the guide moves the trailer as needed. Lock the ball down, connect the chains and wiring and I’m done. SAFE, one-man hookup on a steep incline with a 3,000 lb. trailer.

9. mileaway says:

Mine works great in most circumstances. 99% of the time. The “very few” times it doesn’t, well, I guess you have to be smarter than the trailer hitch to figure out what to do next. It’s simple and easy to use and that I believe is the idea behind it. I’m gifting one to my brother-in-law. They readily available for just under $40 on the web and it’s a one time purchase.