Need a new or backup small digital camera to document your tools, workshop masterpieces, or family gatherings? The Nikon P60 might be the way to go, especially since they’re currently $100 at OfficeMax™ (a $100 savings according to OfficeMax™). The P60 has 8.1 effective megapixels, 5× optical zoom, a 2.5″ LCD monitor, and VR optical image stabilization. It uses standard AA-size batteries and SD memory cards.

Here’s the good news. It’s cheap enough you don’t really care about getting dust or any other manner of shop gunk on it, but it still interfaces with computers from this century — even if your tools don’t. They even survive a drop off the bench a time or two — although I wouldn’t go for three.

Nikon P60 [Manufacturer’s Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Nikon P60 at OfficeMax™
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Dealmonger: Nikon P60 “Shop Camera”

1. Roscoe says:

Clearance electronics on a tool blog?

2. ToolGuyd says:

Umm… it’s not April Fools Day again, is it?

3. Andrew says:

I just bought one of these, and I hate it. I bought based on the zoom lens and the price, and regret it. The controls are poorly placed and hard to use. The most annoying thing is the flash cycle time, which is extremely long–several seconds, which is an eternity if people are posing for a picture. It does not produce flash pictures nearly as well as the six year old Canon it replaced. Only good thing I can say about it is that the menus are easy to use, but that does not make up for the other shortcomings.

My advice: spend a little more and get a Canon.

4. _Jon says:

Hey, did you guys get my mail about helping Jeff (in Iraq) about replacing his camera?

5. Jim K. says:

My advice for a shop camera (at least if you live in an urban/suburban area) look on Craigslist for used Canon. I did exactly this and got a decent Canon for less than $70 with a 4GB SD card. Hard to beat that.

6. jeffrey immer says:

hey jon i think i have a replacement lined up they have a samsung for sale for like $70 here, and i go on leave in a week, so my pics will be of the playground i make for my kids

7. _Jon says:

@jeffery:
    – Based on what you built over in the sandbox, we’d pro’lly want to see what the playground looks like!