This probably would not fit in my garage, and even if it did and I could somehow power it, I doubt that I would ever need to bandsaw something requiring a 40″ throat. On the other hand, this is a really neat hunk-o-machinery.

From Old Woodworking Machines via Stu’s Shed.

Old Woodworking Machines [Corporate Site]

6 Responses to It’s Just Cool: 40″ Band Saw

1. KMR says:

Brodix Cylinder Heads has a massive band saw similar to this. They have a vid somewhere on their website. They use it to trim off the excess casting flash and the thick casting risers from their freshly cast cylinder heads. Their bandsaw does it FAST – like lose an arm if you slip fast.

2. Gary says:

I met a guy at the woodworking show locally a few years ago. He had a complete shop of tools made in the late 1800s early 1900s. Awesome. Those old bandsaws remind me of sculpture with their (functional) curves.

3. kyle says:

last year I went to Th Henery Ford Museum in Dearborn,Michigan and it was really cool to see old equipment like a drill press that was powerd by a hand crank, a bandsaw similer to the one pictured, a complete machine shop from the early 1900s. It was really cool and if any one is thnking aout going to the museum go.

4. Chris W says:

The Edison factory in W Orange NJ had tours which included the big workshop. Tours are suspended until the fall of 2009 for restoration work. All the tools are powered by a couple of big electric motors which drive shafts running the length of the room. Leather belts are shifted on and off pulleys to start and stop the tools. Lookup “edison nhs” on google.

5. william cushing says:

we have a wonderful bug band saw like this totally working don’t seem to have use for it now. wiling to take an offer for it. located in shell, wyoming

• Gus says:

William-
      Am interested in seeing some pics of that saw. Would you be able to email them? Been looking for an older machine for some time now.