It looks like EZ Red designed their butterfly sockets for fasteners on which you’d normally use a flare wrench but can’t get the wrench around the fastener. Just wrap the butterfly socket around the fastener and when you close it, stick a 1/2″ ratchet or breaker bar into the square drive hole to turn it.

The shape of the sockets suggests they put the force on the flats on the fastener rather than the corners, so they’ll work with damaged or worn nuts. EZ Red even claims you can use the sockets for either metric or SAE applications.

Their small set includes 7/16”, 1/2”, 9/16”, and 5/8” sockets. Their medium set includes 11/16”,  3/4″, 13/16”-7/8”, and 15/16” sockets. Finally their large set includes only three sockets:1-1/16”, 1-1/8”, and 1-1/4”. Supposedly each socket can also be used on the closest metric equivalent size.

Look to pay anywhere between $60 and $90, depending on which set you get, where you buy it, shipping charges, and taxes if applicable.

Butterfly Sockets [EZ-Red]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

6 Responses to Socket With Butterfly Wings

1. KMR says:

BRILLIANT!!!

2. Joel Spangler says:

these look pretty cool – can’t think of too many situations where I’d actually need them, but they’d be nice to have…. price seems a bit steep, so I won’t be including them in my toolbox… yet

3. fred says:

We carry ratcheting flare nut wrench sets made by Proto on our Plumbing trucks. The business end of these opens up to provide access to the fitting – and helps get them into tight spaces.

I think that I’ve seen less expensive versions made by Mountain Tools.

KD (Danaher) also makes flex-head flare wrenches like their # 81697 that help you get into awkward spots – but with these you do have to be able to slip the head over the fitting.

4. Joe says:

EZ Red did not design these. These sockets have been offered in the past by different vendors.

5. Benjamen Johnson says:

Dammit Joe, you’re right!

I don’t know who actually designed these and yet I used the word designed. Even though I’m working for peanuts — unsalted and not even shelled — I still need to do my best to get information right.

Thanks for keeping me honest.

6. Joe says:

I doubt EZ Red designs anything. They probably just rebrand whatever they happen to find on the Asian tool market, the same as brands like AmPro, Titan, Performance Tool, and so so many others.