Why carry when you can roll?  A platform truck — some might call it a dolly or a cart — can come in handy hauling stuff around the warehouse, the shop, the office, heck, even around the house. What makes this version from Grizzly nice for less-industrial applications is that it has a continuous rubber bumper around the entire cart and a multi-position handle that looks like it might fold flat for storage.

The platform truck measures 35″ long by 24″ wide and can carry up to 600 lbs. The non-skid deck rides on four casters with solid rubber wheels. The truck retails for $50, but at 49 lbs. it’s going to cost you an extra $20 to ship it.

Platform Truck [Grizzly]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

14 Responses to Bumper Trucks

1. Simon says:

Bad wheels, wobbly handle, noisy ride, for regular use, this model is a poor choice IMHO.

2. Adam says:

The version we have is great for multistory buildings. We load it up and haul everything around using the freight elevators. No problems with the wheels, handle or excessive noise.

The handle is either locked up in the operating position or down flat for transport/storage. No middle positions on our model. Definitely worth the $75 we paid for it.

3. kdp says:

I backup what Adam says. We use these for hauling around heavy boxes and large rack mount servers. They do what they’re supposed to.

4. Patrick says:

FWIW: According to their website, it has a $10 surcharge, not $20

Subtotal: $49.95
    Shipping & Handling: $9.70
    Oversize Fee: $10.00
    Order Total: $69.65

5. @Patrick:
    Potato, Pah-tah-do

“The truck retails for $50, but at 49 lbs. it’s going to cost you an extra $20 to ship it.”

Still comes out to be the same $70 to get it to your door no matter if you lump the shipping and handling and oversize fee like I did or not. Seems to me that an oversize fee is related to shipping and handling.

I do like the fact that they are honest about how their charges break down though.

BTW: Grizzly’s Amazon store lumps all the fees into a $20 shipping charge.

6. Mrten says:

This cart is not one you should buy for ‘around the house’, as it can only be operated properly when the floor it is rolling over is very flat and very hard. When the floor isn’t both of these things and you’ve got a load on it you will bend the handle quite seriously or even break it from the platform when you try to start moving the cart.

I have moved large loads with this cart (it is rated to 150kgs, after all) but the only thing that really worked was pushing the load instead of using the handle.

ISTR paying 30 euros for it at a local DIYstore.

7. Mr P says:

Well I had to fix this dolly it cant handle any real work

8. Lungofish says:

These are a must-have for moving machines around in a datacenter.

A favorite trick of mine for moving big stacks of machines is to put a piece of rubbery drawer liner between each machine. Doesn’t need to be much, just an 8″x8″ square usually does it. That way you don’t have $50,000 worth of Dell PowerEdges come sliding off when you go around a corner.

9. @Mrten:

Yeah around the house is a stretch, I kinda meant more for things like moving into a new house and possibly carting stuff around your garage and driveway, but around the house was easier to write.

It’s good to know though that it works better on a very flat and very hard surface.

10. Manny says:

I keep one of these in my service van. It’s energy/back saver. I’ve replaced the front swivel wheels with more rigid ones and, yes, its not perfect. Its noisey at times and so on but its so worth it when your’re an HvAC service tech. An even simple compressor change involves a pallet load of heavy equipment from beginning to end. You can make 8 trips from the van to the project or just 2-3 with one of these. It works for me.

11. Dan Sroka says:

I got one of these with inflatable tires at Costco for about the same price. I’ve even ended up using it outside as a sort of makeshift wheelbarrow. I bungee a large garbage can too it, and can roll it all around the yard where ever I need it. It ain’t perfect, but it gets the job done.

12. Tetsubo says:

We have several of these at work. I work an an auto parts plant and they come in very handy. Never had a problem with them failing.

13. Chris says:

@Lungofish: How’d you manage to stack 75 PowerEdge servers on one of these? :-p

cl

14. What’s up, I would like to subscribe foor this
    website to get most recent updates, therefore where ccan i do it please help out.