Northern Tool offers this $30 propane torch kit for burning weeds and melting snow and ice. With a six-foot hose and a two-foot handle, you’ll need to figure out a way to haul around the (minimum) 20lb propane cylinder.

The torch kit has a manual igniter, so be sure to pick up a proper ignition source as well. Your cigarette lighter is not recommended.

The trick to getting these work right is to singe the weeds, boiling the moisture in the plant cells above ground to dehydrate the weed to a point of no return. It doesn’t take much to terminate — just a second or two — and you must absolutely be careful when using this in drier fields to prevent flare-ups.

In the winter, once you’ve melted all your snow, make sure to sweep the water off the driveway. Otherwise it’ll just end up refreezing, forming your new skate rink, which will amuse your kids but won’t make the 6:00 am departure for work any easier.

Propane Torch Kit [Northern Tool]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

11 Responses to Propane Torch Destroys Weeds, Snow and Ice

1. Art Andr says:

CO2 torch it should read. If you use it often enough global warming will melt the snow permanently.

2. Rob says:

…destroys weeds, snow, and ice… …and sets your house on fire if you’re not careful 🙁

3. Patrick says:

Don’t try to melt too much snow. It takes forever to do a sidewalk.

4. Galadriel says:

I have a friend with one of these. She loves it for large areas of weeds.

She said it was not practical for ice; it was re-freezing as soon as she got it melted, so she couldn’t clear off the water. She ended up with a slick ice porch for a while.

5. Dan says:

Also, it doesn’t work particularly well on weeds; anything with a taproot (dandelions, say) will just grow back from the root, and it’s impossible to burn the root from above the ground.

It _is_ satisfying to use, and if the ground is inaccessible (cracks between paving stones, under gravel beds, etc), it’s easier than trying to clear the soil clear to weed properly, but it’s not all that effective otherwise.

6. Matt says:

Got one like it. Loud as hell. Seems to take a long time. I’m just keeping it around for when my daughter starts dating. I don’t have a shotgun I can clean on my porch.

7. Matt K says:

I work in a large railyard in the south. When we do get snow, we use these to melt it out of the switch points on the tracks. We will run probably 15 to 20 of them at a time. Works pretty well when there is no other alternative.

8. Rob says:

I use mine to shrink the shrink the shrinkwrap on my boat. I couldn’t find a longer hose for it so I spliced in a piece of heavy-duty air hose.

9. Gough says:

We use them to set our slash piles ablaze. This takes care of the waste materials left in the wake of tree thinning projects on our forested land. They work great for that.

10. flarney says:

pretty useless for weeds, like Dan said. They just grow back. Even vinegar mixed with salt and dish soap has been a disappointment. It would be so nice if the non-toxic weed killers actually worked. Poison or digging the buggers up is the only way.

11. Cameron Watt says:

I use a Canadian type called a Tiger Torch. When doing a welding job that requires pre-heating or needs to be dried, I like to use the Tiger Torch.