The Eagle has landed — in your backyard. Well, okay, if you don’t believe the black sphere pictured above is spaceworthy, maybe you’d believe it’s a giant hamster ball for your dog? It turns out that it’s actually the ECOmposter, a compost bin.

The ECOmposter is constructed from recycled materials. The spherical shape maximizes the ratio of surface area to volume, which in layman’s terms means it’ll hold heat better. This shape, coupled with the dark color and the 16 integrated air tubes, helps the compost decompose faster, possibly even in as little as 4-6 weeks. The spherical shape also lets you roll the bin in any direction, mixing the compost more evenly. There are openings on both the top and bottom for adding or retrieving compost.

The ECOmposter comes with either a short plastic base or a taller tubular metal base with rollers that lets you rotate the ball in place. It looks like one of the best prices comes from Sam’s Club, where it’s just $150. If you’re not careful you could pay up to $300.

ECOmposter [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon

12 Responses to That’s Not a Moon…

1. Mike47 says:

“hello, Homeland Security? I think my neighbor has a nuclear weapon in his back yard. Yes, it’s big, round and black, and has legs. What? Call who? Clark Pest Control? O.K., bye.”

2. Toolhearty says:

I so want one, just because of the look of the thing.

3. KMR says:

Why do so many wanna-be greenies buy premade plastic compost bins for 100s of dollars?

I built a very easy compost bin about two years ago out of 2×2 Cedar, some threaded rod, some flat washers and nuts. I’ve got a full shop and the only tools I needed were a chop saw to cut the cedar to length and a drill to drill the holes in the cedar to run the threaded rod through.

I don’t think I spent more than $40 on the thing. It is 2ftx2ftx2ft. I’ve never managed to fill it up more than half way with household compost (I do not put my grass or leaves in it).

4. CP says:

KMR
    Didn’t you know, being green now a days, means spending tons of green?

5. bidwell says:

Why buy it? because it rolls easy, no more turning with a pitchfork. Although I could get the same functionality with a used pickle barrel if I hadn’t used all mine for rain barrels.

6. Matt says:

“The spherical shape maximizes the ratio of surface area to volume”
    My math is pretty rusty but I thought a sphere MINIMIZES the ratio of surface area to volume. Isn’t that the reason Dome Homes are so energy efficient?

Let’s hear from a proud geek.

7. @Matt:

Thanks for catching that. You are absolutely correct. A sphere has the minimum surface to volume ratio.

I was thinking ahead of what I was writing. I was thinking about maximizing the amount of heat it retains, or minimizing heat loss if you will. I just didn’t catch it when I went back to proof read the post.

8. Jim K. says:

OMFG it’s the Death Star!

9. Mr. Peepers. says:

I can’t imagine it’s all that easy to rotate on that stand. It’s a fairly smooth surface, other than the air holes, and I wouldn’t want to stick my fingers in those.

10. Zathrus says:

The couple times I’ve built a compost bin it’s cost <$5 — some weed fabric on the ground, and some wire mesh in a cylinder of however big you want. Turn with pitchfork.

Created some great compost at our previous house. With this house we don’t have an easy way to get to a compost bin.

11. KoKo says:

Improvised composters, like that wire mesh cylinder, don’t work as well, or as rapidly, or in as cold weather. A good composter has to retain moisture and heat, but allow the compost to be mixed and turned easily.

But this spherical design is kind of gimmicky, it seems to me. Sure, a solid sphere retains heat better than a solid cylinder, but this composter isn’t filled solid with compost. It is half full at most (or else turning it won’t mix the compost.) A tapered, fat cylinder would have nearly the same heat retention, but would be simpler to build and possibly easier to use.

12. K says:

I have one of these and I love it! It’s a very easy to use composter and we reaped some nice black dirt last year. We call it “The Death Star” for obvious reasons 😉