Somewhere in the “honey-do” lists created each weekend, I have a few recurring maintenance tasks. My monthly items get done the first weekend of a new month, the semi-annual ones when the clocks change. The quarterly and every-other-weekend ones have been hit-or-miss, until I grabbed these Days Ago digital counters from the kitchen.

Designed to keep track of the age of your leftovers, mine sit above my workbench and tell me how long it’s been since I’ve checked the termite traps and cleaned the pool filter. The display increments daily (up to 99 days, sufficient for quarterly checks), and are reset by simply pushing the button on the face.

They cost $10/pair, in an assortment of “stunning” colors, with either magnetic or suction cup attachments. Some Amazon reviewers report the suction cups don’t suck well — I’ve used the magnetic ones in the garage for quite a while without trouble.

Magnetic Counter Via Amazon [What’s This?]
Suction Cup Counter Via Amazon [What’s This?]

6 Responses to Digital Timer Counts the Days

1. kdp says:

I use recurring appointments on my computer’s calendar program, but this works – as long as you know what each countdown signifies.

One advantage to the calendar approach is the ‘snooze’ feature. If I don’t wrap everything up in the appointed weekend, I can have it remind me later.

2. Toolhearty says:

Designed to keep track of the age of your leftovers…

… and they only count up to 99 days?

These people have never been in my refrigerator.

3. Joel Spangler says:

I’ve switched to a completely digital to-do list via a web-site http://www.toodledo.com

I put projects on there that recur often such as
    check furnace filter – every month
    check tire pressure on cars – every 3 months
    change drinking water filter + check salt levels in water softener – every ?? months

This also has my VERY LONG list of honey-do projects that I have. I started the list for myself, but have given access to my wife now too, so she can help me prioritize what project I should work on next.

4. Benjamen Johnson says:

@Joe Spangler:

I use Remember the Milk: https://www.rememberthemilk.com to do the same thing. I use the pro account so I can use the iPhone app which runs me $25 a year.

I took a closer look at toodledo after reading your comment and am impressed. I’ll have to give it a try.

—–

Cool Idea! I don’t think having them spread all over the house would be very effective, but these would be great for things that are located in the same space like what they are designed for: leftovers.

If these were a little cheaper (If they can put a watch for free in a happy meal they can make these cheaper) I think they would be more useful. I mean I’d need at least ten to track my leftovers, but I don’t want to pay $50.

Another note do these work in the freezer?

5. Geoff K. says:

Then there is always Google Calendar. With a free Google account you can enter items on the calendar and set recurring frequency, anywhere from daily on up with lots of frequency options. You can set reminder pop-ups or emails from minutes before to weeks before it’s due. If I want it sent to my phone, I just send an email to my Verizon phone @ 9995551212@vtext.com. Free, easy, flexible, and I can send messages to my phone.

6. Toolhearty says:

Benjamen Johnson Says:
    July 8th, 2009 at 11:16 am

Another note do these work in the freezer?

My leftover/frozen food tracker is about as cheap as you can get: a roll of masking tape and a Sharpie. Just date everything that gets opened, frozen, or is leftover. Stuff that goes in the freezer usually gets a short description to avoid those “What the heck…?” discoveries.

Don’t know if the electronic thingies will work in the freezer, think you’d just have to try one.