The sub-compact 3/8” drill market must be a place where Bosch and the few others were making a killing last year, because almost all the heavy hitters are rolling out with them this year — and Makita is no exception. The DF330DW should look very familiar to anyone that’s been scoping other models of the same class.

Makita says the new driver sports a 2-speed transmission 0-350rpm in low and 0-1,300rpm in high and will put 200 in.lbs. of grunt down when called for. Sound familiar? It should; most of the other high-end units are claiming 200 plus in. lbs. and have a two-gear system in their 10.8v/12v Li-Ion lineup as well. Just from numbers alone it looks like Milwaukee and Bosch will have it beat in the raw power department, but perhaps the included drill holster will put the unit over the top in sales.

Personally I’d love to see a low-slung John Wayne edition holster for the new rig, but I’m sure it’s more of a tactical speed holster type of affair. Then again, the whole question of holster style might be rendered moot the first time someone bends over and manages to stab themselves with a 3/8” boring bit that’s tucked into the new chuck. Either way, it looks like an interesting year for the sub-compact.

Street pricing for drill, battery, and charger kit starts at around $140.

10.8V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 3/8″ Driver-Drill Kit  [Makita]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

14 Responses to Makita 10.8V Li-Ion 3/8″ Driver-Drill Kit

1. Jason says:

Many aspects of this look identical to the Bosch. Does one make it for the other? Are the batteries compatible?

2. Zeros says:

I have this drill and really like it. I actually bought the lct203w combo that has the 10.8v impact (TD090DW) and 10.8v drill with hex chuck (DF303DW) at home depot on sale for $130. I wanted a chuck on the drill like this DF330DW, but they do not yet sell a combo kit with the impact and this drill. So I ordered the parts from ereplacementparts.com to convert my DF030DW (hex chuck) to this DF330DW (3/8″ chuck). $35 shipped for the parts was all it took. So the bottom line is that I picked up the impact, this drill, two batteries, charger and a case for $165.

3. Zeros says:

Sorry to double post, but here is a picture of the holster for anyone interested:

4. SirFatty says:

I have the Rigid version, and highly recommend it as it has lifetime battery replacement for free. Great driver.

5. Dude says:

SirFatty- have you ever tried to get a battery replaced?

• Bob says:

Been there did that, will never buy s rigid battery operated tool again, do not last they the tool complete in the org. box anf they still question you.

6. Spencer says:

Costco has this drill and the impact driver for $149, picked it up a couple weeks ago and they’re my new favorite tools! The same combo kit is $189 at Home Depot, not on sale anymore.

7. dylan says:

Zero, that’s what I’m looking for. I have the same combo but the one thing I don’t like is the hex, really limits the capabilities of the makita. was it easy to change?

8. Zeros says:

Dylan: Oh yeah, really easy. You just take several screws out of the drill and the one side of the housing comes off. Then just replace the old gear assembly with the new one, put it back together and screw in the new chuck. Here are the parts you will need:

251451-2 Pan Head Screw (Reverse Thread)
    125539-3 Gear Assembly
    766007-3 3/8″ Keyless Drill Chuck

Here’s the link to buy the parts:

Like I said, about $35 shipped for the necessary parts from ereplacementparts.com and about 15 minutes of work and you can have the complete conversion. If you wanted to you could even order the 88 cent sticker for the side of the drill to have the correct model number, but that’s just a bit ridiculous.

9. Kurt says:

You may not believe this – heck, I didn’t at first, but I have been getting great service out of the Harbor Freight version of this tool for over a year now. The battery capacity is remarkable.

10. dylan says:

Zeros are the two gear assemblies really different? cause of the screw?

11. Zeros says:

Yeah, that’s the only difference. The new one has a reverse threaded hole to attach the screw for the new chuck. The old one is the quick change hex socket with no hole. That’s about the only difference.

12. dss says:

Zero

When switch the new keyless chuck, after removing all the screws how do you remove the two fasteners inside the battery area which hold the two sides together?

13. Taylor says:

@dss
    That is a fine question. Very tricky getting those suckers off. Afraid to force it…

Found this for guidance: