I love this box. This is the kind of thing that gets handed down from generation to generation until no one can remember where it came from but won’t throw it away either. Yes, you read correctly: this is a 50 lb. dynamite box.

Not only does the case look like a product Wylie Coyote just ordered from Acme, but just picture the neighbor in your shop for the first time: “Hey Bob, can you hand me the wrench? It’s in that box over there marked ‘dynamite.’ Better put out that cigarette first, though.”

Even if it were fake, it would be great to mess with people’s heads. I don’t know if I could resist keeping some red road flares in there just to make someone do a head check.

Thanks to Beano for the crazy-cool picture post.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

19 Responses to Flickr Pool: Dyno-mite

1. pmbard says:

…and I’m off to eBay to start a new collection.

2. This reminds me, I’ll have to ask our engineers if they test our Gearboxes to withstand dynamite blasts 🙂

excellent old-school pic!

3. Adam R says:

Where can I get some detailed pics?

4. beano_t says:

I’m going to attempt some restoration on this… then i will post some more picts in the flicker pool

5. Toolaremia says:

Nobody is going to ask the obvious? Why does the Red Cross need dynamite!? ;-D

6. Pencilneck says:

Turn it into a travel case, best carry on luggage ever.

7. dijital101 says:

Has nobody noticed that this says “extra dynamite”? That means that not only does the Red Cross blow up stuff with dynamite but they want to make sure they don’t run out.

8. kdp says:

dijital101 wins.

My grandpa managed one of the oldest working oil fields in east Texas. He kept a box of dynamite in an outbuilding for who knows what.

After he retired he kept a working plunger that he used as a door stop.

9. Pete Judd says:

I miss the days of going down to the feed store and picking up a few sticks. We used to take a quart milk carton and fill it with gas and strap a quarter stick to it and place it on the other side of the creek from the back porch. I was exactly 100 yards from the back porch to where we placed it. The 30-06 was sited in for 100 yards and the but end of the stick was around the size of a quarter. The noise and the fireball where great. Maybe I am telling my age with post. Yhis post brings back great mems.

10. heywood says:

yup…and we’re so much better off keeping good honest americans away from any explosives.

bullsh**~!!!!

I remember hearing that kiwis that had been coming up every winter and working ski patrol were no longer allowed to set off any charges after 9/11…what a bunch of crap.

I like blowing up stuff as do most guys, but would never put another person’s life in danger. I hate this government’s policies.

Wish we could go back to the old days.

11. esmor says:

Anyone know why the sides were finger-jointed the way they were? The bottoms are just nailed on, fwiw.

12. bs says:

finger joints are strong because they have lots on long grain to long grain glue area. you would not want your 50 lbs of dynomite falling out becase some pecker head just butted two pieces of wood to make a corner would you?

13. beano_t says:

True about the finger joints but if it were my dynamite box I would be worried about the base falling out to bottom. I guess i am not going to have much explosives in it now anyway….
    on another note my mother in law said she used to have 4 of these but three have disappeared before she gave me this one. If you look around you can find a DuPont explosives manual online. Apparently stump removal and land clearing was the main purpose.

14. Wes says:

On an unrelated note, it’s Wile E. Coyote, not Wylie. Just FYI.

15. esmor says:

I understand the use of finger joints, but why so many of them? I, too, would be more worried about the bottom failing. From some quick research, dynamite itself is not particularly dangerous unless it is old and “weeping” the nitro from inside. The blasting caps were more dangerous. As an aside, the color is brown or beige, not red–at least for modern stuff.

16. Toolhearty says:

beano_t Says:
    June 24th, 2009 at 8:09 am

Apparently stump removal and land clearing was the main purpose.

…and farmers used it to make watering holes for livestock.

1 stick dynamite + 1 buried drum of fertilizer = instapond

17. Fzzt says:

It’s all fun & games until for whatever reason you aren’t home and someone calls the bomb squad and they blow up your ‘tool chest’ with their water cannon!

18. boomstick says:

They recently found a garage containing old Dynamite here in Cleveland. I was surprised the method of disposal was burning down the garage around the dynamite..

19. Tim W says:

>>I was surprised the method of disposal was burning down the garage around the dynamite.. <<

Yeah it needs more then fire to get going.. like a blasting cap.

I worked for a summer making explosives.. Left shortly after a guy showed me that the anfo we were making would explode with just a blowtorch