AirBomb is selling a 16oz. tub of Phil Wood Hand Cleaner for $6.80.  A friend who’s a professional bike mechanic sent me a tub of it recently, claiming it was the best hand cleaner he’d used. After several weeks I have to agree — it’s mild, relatively unscented, yet cleans grease and dirt as completely as any hand cleaner I’ve used before.

16oz. Tub of Phil Wood Hand Cleaner [AirBomb]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to Dealmonger: Phil Wood Hand Cleaner $7

1. Mr.Miz says:

Should we know Mr. Wood? or does he just make a mean grease cutting cleaner? I love the fact that some of the things that come over Toolmonger look like they are being sold out of somebodies basement. I’m actually partial to that kind of thing.

2. Julian says:

Mr. Miz,

Phil wood makes wonderful bicycle hubs, bottom brackets and other odds and ends in the USA. Exquisite quality. Google Phil Wood and check it out

3. paanta says:

And some of the best bearing grease on the planet. Totally one of the mainstays of snobby bike maintenance.

4. ambush says:

Is this similar to Permatex blue label hand cleaner? White, not abrasive and cleans better than anything.

5. Geoff K. says:

I remember when I was a kid, my older brother had a tube of Phil Wood Waterproof Grease. (I was puzzled by the name, because I thought all grease was waterproof. Anyway…) It’s been a product line that has stood the test of time, for sure. Nice to know that a product line that makes the best grease also includes the best hand cleaner when that grease goes astray.

6. Pete says:

I have a tube of Phil Wood grease in my bicycle tool box. It is great stuff and has been around for a long time. Phil Wood has gotten his hands greasy, and should know how to get them clean again.

7. Toolaremia says:

Nick C, have you used Goop? Can you compare the two?

8. Nick Carter says:

I hate that orange smell so I avoid the Goop, but it seemed to work as well the few times I used it.

9. Andy Leviss says:

Nick, I’m not sure you’re talking about the same thing Toolaremia is. Goop isn’t a citrus product, it comes in a white tub, and is a heavy, well, goop, that sort of looks like it’s a tub of lard, for lack of a better way to describe it. Amazing stuff.

(In looking there, they do make an Orange Goop, but that is not the original, and based on context not the one Toolaremia is referring to.)

10. John says:

I met the man who makes this hand cleaner the other day(he gave me a tub). It is good stuff. Has sawdust in it. Not the same as anything I have tried before–better.