I’ve seen a lot of different tools that do a lot of different things, but I can’t say I’ve ever seen a pair of pliers that looks like these. I found ’em on eBay, and judging by the seller’s comments, he doesn’t know what they are either.

It seems to be some sort of retaining ring plier or a tool for getting into an assembly to remove a ring pin or valve cover. The only identifying marks on the tool are “Blue Point” and “Made in USA.” I think Blue Point might’ve been a Snap-on brand at one point, but I’m not sure.

The thing just looks odd — you’ll find more pictures on the eBay listing. Is anyone familiar with this type of plier? If so, what wondrous function was it designed to accomplish? Let us know in comments.

Unidentified Plier Listing [eBay]

18 Responses to It’s Just Cool: Unidentified Plier-Type Thingy

1. Zeros says:

I have no idea what it is, but I can verify that Blue Point was made by Snap-on. Our snap on guy used to sell blue point stuff on the truck. I have a Blue point multimeter that I purchased from Snap on.

2. Zeros says:

A google search shows a website (californiaauctionguide) selling them as Blue point acp-1 snap ring pliers.

3. tscheez says:

I guess if the snap ring is really recessed in to something you’d need a pair of pliers like that. Like inside an axle housing or something.

4. Chris Byrne says:

I was thinking it looked like a connecting rod pin end clip tool.

5. Adam says:

I have seen them before for use in heavy equipment/agriculture repair. I believe they have a very specialized use on a certain model of a certain brand of tractor. I don’t recall exactly however. They are desinged to slip over a splined shaft, and remove the recessed snap ring.

6. george says:

i have one. its for clips that are installed on shafts as they are on transmissions or clips that are counter sunk. rather a specialized tool. i used mine very rarely but when needed it was the only thing to go to.

7. Zoel says:

Isn’t Blue Point just Snap-On’s foreign manufactured affiliate? I used to get lots of stuff from the snap on truck and the guy told me initially that they were manufactured for Snap-On by Chinese/Taiwanese companies.

8. Dan Clemens says:

This is a snap- ring pliers for removing the recessed snap- ring on G.M.
    (Harrison) inline- type AC compressors. This tool is required to remove
    the clutch assembly from the main shaft of the compressor. This type
    of AC compressor has not been used on G.M. cars for over 25 years,
    so the tool is somewhat obsolete, but as the saying goes, “BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THAN TO NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT”.

9. Coach James says:

Zoel, you are correct, Bluepoint is not made by SnapOn. Bluepoint is to SnapOn what Task Force is to Kobalt or Companion used to be to Craftsman. Most Bluepoint is China/Taiwan and used by SnapOn as a cheaper line on their trucks.

10. Slow Joe Crow says:

I think Blue Point is actually a catchall for any tool not made by SnapOn but sold by SnapOn. I have a screw extractor set I bought from a SnapOn truck in 1990 that says Bluepoint on the plastic case, but all of the metal parts are stamped Ridgid since they OEMed it. I also saw a lot of Bluepoint branded service tools that appeared to be K-D back in the day as well. Nowadays this probably does mean imported tools rather than US made.

11. toby says:

A smaller one would have been perfect to remove the master cylinder snap ring on my 77 CB750A…it was a nightmare because normal snap ring pliers would’t fit…I had to use pics and patience!

12. Phil says:

Yep, that’s a GM a/c clutch service tool, I’ve used one in the past. Beats the hell out of trying to dig that retaining ring out with awls or screwdrivers.

Blue-Point tools can be likened to the Lisle, Cal-Van, K-D and other service-related tools found at most ‘serious’ auto parts shops. I have a number of Blue-Point branded tools that tend to be specialized service tools, though I do have a couple BP air tools as well. Not all of it is foreign sourced, in fact, of the number that I have, most are U.S.-made. Also, many of the Blue-Point tools can be found under other brands, sometimes for less cost.

Note that Snap-On has stooped to ‘licensing’ their name and logo, which is now used mostly on cheap Chinese made flashlights and other near-novelty items often found in Ace hardware stores. At least the stuff is priced accordingly.

13. Dan Clemens says:

Do I get a Scooby Snack for correctly identifying the mystery tool?

14. Older Than You says:

Back in the old days (wish I had a buck for every time I heard an old fart start a story with that line) Snap-On sold any stuff that they didn’t make themselves under the blue point label. It didn’t matter where it was made. I still have a drift punch I bought around 1970 labeled Blue Point that clearly has Made in U.S.A. stamped into it.

15. Coach James says:

“I think Blue Point is actually a catchall for any tool not made by SnapOn but sold by SnapOn”

There are other tools with the SnapOn name not made by SnapOn. Their thread chasers, tap and die sets and some others are made by other companies and rebranded. My C-man thread chaser set is made by Kastar and is also identical to a friend’s SnapOn set.

16. Captain G says:

I have a ball peen hammer that belonged to my dad that’s a Blue Point. He got it in the mid ’70’s.

17. fritzgorbach says:

The way my dealer explained to me…blue point is rebranded items from another manufacturer; while snapon is “either” made by snap on, such as wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, sockets, and other main tools, or made to snap on’s specifications regarding material strength, dimensioning tolerances, etc.
    There is also a pretty full line of basic hand tools, made in taiwan, vs snap ons made in USA, which dealer tells me is not made to quite the same strength as sanp on, but compareable to craftsmaan and other store brands, at a much reduced price compared to snap on.
    In any case, all te tools carry the same warranty if they are under snapon or blue point brand, in many cases, better than anyone else’s warranty.

18. Ray Cut says:

By shear coincidence I was introduced to Snap On by the local dealer back in 1972 when I was shown a 43 piece 1/2″ socket set in American size,ie AF and to the dealer’s astonishment my father simply asked me if I liked it -well wait for it- ” wish there was 10mmto 32mm sockets as well “having asked the dealer “here you have them all still fresh from USA young man ” ( just turned 14 ) The Metrics sockets back then had a black bottom ribbon for easy identification I was over the moon .Well the dealer gave me ” gratis ” a 12″ Blue-Point adj wrench and back the blue poin was made in Japan Also I was given a 1969 snap-on catalogue where I saw many strange looking tools I am still a Snap On guy my last addition is the latest 1/2″ drive cordless ion battery – eu specs ( charger only difference ! )mind you in 8 months’ I had some dissapointments where I had to resort to my 3/4 “Air Powered Wurth gun . But as ruggedness goes it looks it can take it and three guys are always looking for it and leave the other air powered ones at bay whenever possibile Snap On ratchets are Not impressive especially the FLIMSY toggle for on,off where it always falls off or gets broken and they are Expensive those ratchets but they are superb as feel and as dexterity wise ( 3/8 AND 1/2 STUBBYS )
    Note- I did not have a choice -as they say I had to find a way to a very peculiar problem on the field and the 12” Snap – On adj wrench had to be modifieda and also had to weld the jaws so as to twist this square torsion spring in this contraption and after some seriouse leverage I managed to fix the darn thing and BANG THE BLOODY s/on wrench no more!! Never attempted to send it for replacement ! yep I was working on trucks which where brought by the crew of Gladiator back in 2000 I think I remember that kind o plier in the 69 catalogue !