You want to quickly cut a fence post on the spot, but you don’t have a table or sawhorse close by.  You could try to balance the post on your foot, grip the pipe with one hand, and grip the saw with the other, but that seems a little risky and your cut probably won’t be all that accurate.   The Tri-Vise exists for situations just like this.

The Tri-Vise was introduced at the 2009 National Hardware Show, but I first heard about it on the Daily Giz Wiz Podcast.  This made-in-the-USA tool will securely hold materials off the ground while you cut, drill, weld, solder, or perform other operations.

You can slip pipe, conduit, rebar, angle iron, square tubing, dimensional lumber, dowels, or other materials through one of the custom ports, and the Tri-Vise pinches the material so it won’t move or spin.

Weighing less than 4 pounds, the one-piece plate vise fits in your toolbox or hangs on your shop wall.  You can pick up the 4″ Tri-Vise from Lowe’s for $20.

Tri-Vise [Corporate Site]
Tri-Vise [Lowe’s]

13 Responses to Either Grow A Few More Arms Or Buy A Tri-Vise

1. Michael says:

This is EXACTLY why I visit this website: a simple, inexpensive tool that solves a fairly common problem. I’m sure getting the hang of it and making straight cuts takes a little practice, but it sure beats having to find a piece of 2×4 to rest the item that needs to be cut on.

2. jeffrey immer says:

or u could easily make the same thing out of a piece of scrap plywood to “custom
    fit what ever you are cutting,
    think it would be great for that 2×4 you hold in one hand and cut with the cordless in the other hand

3. Vincent Wright says:

This is great! I am going to get one of these.

@jeffrey immer: For $ 20, it is not worth trying “make” your own.

@Michael: Not sure why making straight cuts would be a problem. You still follow the same line you put down to begin with. 🙂

4. fred says:

I picked up a couple of these on my last visit to Lowes to try out. They will not replace our tripod stand vises – but are certainly lighter and handier. If i get positive feedback – I’ll put them in all of the trucks

5. bob says:

Real men hip cut galvanized fence posts.

6. MeasureOnceCutTwice says:

My hip isn’t sharp enough any more.

7. bob says:

Real old men like me hire real men.

8. Joe C. says:

Vincent, if I spent $20 every time I needed a quick DIY solution, I’d be broke and carrying around a lot of crap that I rarely need and probably couldn’t find when I did!

9. Michael W says:

Joe C., If I spend time that I could be making money making tools, I end up with a net sum zero game. $20 is about 1/2 hour of my time. Making one myself, that actually worked as well, would take longer than that.

I don’t have a problem making a tool (or modifying an existing one) if I can’t get exactly what I want, or cam make one for substantially less money.

Seems like it would be worth the money using this for one or two cuts instead of setting up sawhorses (especially for pipe as it tends to roll). Especially if you find yourself needing something like this several times a week on site.

10. Joe C. says:

Michael W, I agree with you, but I just don’t think this particular item applies. I checked it out at a store a few weeks ago and and can’t see it being any better than a piece of scrap or a concrete block (e.g., the pipe).

Every time that I come across something like this I try to ask myself if it will be used enough to warrant carrying more tools with me (once I get past need, value, etc.). Every trip to the truck costs time too, not to mention added clean-up at the end of the day. I know it’s minor, but it adds up. And speaking of adding up, when I go back and look at how much “minor” tool purchases come to at the end of every year, I’m always surprised.

11. David Bryan says:

Some folks’ time is too precious to make something they can buy, some folks’ money is too scarce to buy something they can make. That’s their red wagon. Or wagons. I like seeing things I wouldn’t buy because they give me ideas. I can sit around having ideas all day long. I can’t put a value on my time like some folks seem to be able to do. Sometimes it ain’t worth much, sometimes it’s priceless, but I’d be a damn fool to say my time was worth so much an hour. You might get paid so much an hour, but if you think that defines what your time is worth you’ve got some more thinks coming. After all, they say time is money, and money talks, and talk is cheap.

12. Jason says:

I picked up one of these last week at lowes, as I work a lot on small home projects, outside, no table near, etc.

I’m not a pro, just a home owner who enjoys playing with his (too many as the wife says) dewalt power tools and kobalt hand tools…

Anyways, I was making a small landing out of plastic wood decking. This thing was amazing. I was able to make the cuts so quickly. As the wood slid through the slot, it was easy to move back and forth. Then, once the triangle tilted, it held the piece in place while I cut it. I do understand what the one post said about cutting straight… not straight accross, but rather straight down, as the vise holds your stock at an angle.

All in all, it worked great. I used it for 4x4s and 2×6. I could also see it being handy for plumbing pipes in the basement, and just about any simple job. Really a wonderful tool, and well worth the 20.00

If you work outside, on the jobsite, or anywhere that you don’t have a bench with a regular vise, this tool is wonderful. Plus, it’s yellow, and matches the dewalt stuff lol

Just my two cents.

13. rico199 says:

i have never seen or use this tool but from my 35 years of construction i can tell you that if you need a stable work surface use a bench or horses, if you are rough cutting one had for stock and one for the saw

save your $

btw you can pick up a cheap miter saw for $75 why buy that gimmick tool?