Reader Steve sent us this great example of what happens when fabricating goes wrong. Someone in Harrisburg apparently went into a “building frenzy” and decided that a Harley would look great with a Fiero grafted to the back of it. Just for good measure they added some spiffy wire-spoke wheels to complete the ensemble.

We totally applaud the imagination and forethought it takes to build something like this. In fact, it likely took quite a bit of time to hook everything together in a stable manner so the trike doesn’t wobble down the road. However, looking at the photo I might stress a little restraint on the next rig — if the idea is to sell it anyway.

Everyone’s tastes run different, and we’re sure someone’ll dig the Fiero Trike enough to take it home, though the 4k price tag on Craigslist is a little steep — all right, a lot steep.  At least it’s red.

Fiero Trike 3-Wheel Motorcyle [Craigslist]

10 Responses to The Spirit Of The Road, Sort Of

1. Toolhearty says:

Yikes!

Never understood trikes of any sort. All the fun of driving an econo-box AND bugs in your teeth. Are they for people with poor motor skills and/or inner ear problem? It’s not like chocolate and peanut butter. Not all combinations of any two things turn out better than either one of the ingredients.

2. Chris says:

Trikes are for people who can’t balance either for klutz reasons, or as you said, inner ear, etc. There was a guy around here with a custom harley that could be driven from the sidecar, he rolled his wheelchair up into it. The bike itself had no handlebars.

Another advantage to trikes is that many, if not all, states do not require a motorcycle license for a trike, and they are exempt from most helmet laws.

I’ve never understood bikes of the two wheeled variety because you, to be safe, have to wrap yourself in so much protective gear you might as well be in a car.

As to the design, would be a great parade vehicle. Reminds me of those japanese dump trucks they cover in neon.

3. JT says:

He better keep a fire extinguisher handy. Fiero have always been a fire looking for someplace to happen. In my 30 years as a firefighter I put a whole bunch of them out!!!

4. Toolhearty says:

Chris Says:
    June 1st, 2009 at 10:33 am

…There was a guy around here with a custom harley that could be driven from the sidecar, he rolled his wheelchair up into it. The bike itself had no handlebars.

Ah, forgot about those. I’ve seen several bikes adapted for the wheelchair bound. Probably the one legitimate use (that, and maybe a sidecar for the spouse on loooong trips).

Spoken like a true cager. It takes me all of about 30 seconds to don the helmet, jacket and gloves (all voluntary in my State) and the ride to/from work is still a helluva’ lot more fun on two wheels even with the armor.

5. Old Donn says:

This machine reminds me of the line from Jurassic Park. “Just because you could doesn’t mean you should.”

6. Joe C. says:

This didn’t require “imagination”, it required alcohol and a junkyard!

7. Copguy says:

This is the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

8. Jim K. says:

Heck, I’ve always WANTED a trike. Maybe not this trike (seriously, who hit that with the ugly stick) but a trike nonetheless. Might just be my desire to live out my big wheel days over again.

9. Patrick says:

Doggumit, Jim Bob. The sun’s in my eyes. Jim Bob, you thinkin’ what I’m thinkin”?

Hmmhmmm, Billy Ray. I’m thinkin’ diamond plate. Lots of diamond plate.

I’m thinkin’ you’re right, Jim Bob. You’re right at that.

10. Ken says:

among the many questions this piece has created in my mind:

what is this? why has it appeared in front of me? what have I done to deserve this? and do I put my feet inside and have to scrunch up and sit uncomfortably, or do I leave them hanging outside to drag along the road?