When a storm is about to hit, the last thing you want to do is waste time screwing plywood over your windows.  PLYLOX window clips let you quickly cover windows with plywood without installing any hardware or modifying your window casings.

PLYLOX clips slip over the edge of 1/2″ plywood sheets to keep them in the window opening.  As wind blows across the plywood, the h-shaped clips transfer the force outward, holding the plywood securely in place.

To use the clips you simply measure the opening and subtract 1/4″ from each measurement to give you 1/8″ of clearance around the plywood sheet.  You choose the number of clips depending on the size of the window and the expected velocity of the wind gusts.

To install the window covers, slip the proper number of clips over the edge of the plywood and push the plywood into place.  To remove the plywood after the storm, push in towards the middle of the plywood to make the edges flex outward and pull from behind the clip.

A bag of 20 PLYLOX clips will run you about $30.

PLYLOX [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google]

9 Responses to Hurricane Window Clips

1. T says:

Some usage notes, based on previous experience. These only work on recessed windows (duh). The also don’t work terribly well when you have wood, as opposed to brick or stucco, trim. They will tear the hell out of wood surrounds.

On that note, I’ve got tons of them. I’m still debating plywood vs. other solutions for this season.

2. melee says:

They work pretty well; I’ve actually used these during a hurricane, and they work. Best part is that they’re pretty easy to use and don’t require putting holes in the exterior fabric of the building. Really only recommended for recessed brick, as noted above. Also, you need to cut your wood fairly accurately; the clips don’t work well if they’re too tight or too loose.

3. paganwonder says:

Glad I’m only worried about dandelions in the lawn- best of luck guys- hang in there.

4. Jesper says:

Yeah, not that many houses with full brick walls here in South Florida. I’ll be digging out the old holes from the previous home owner to see if I can epoxy in some new mountings for steel shutters.

5. Jimbo says:

Another negative is that the clips tend to rust in quick order when exposed to the humidity and rain and will leave rust streaks, especially if left installed for anything longer than a day or three.

6. Window Pros manufactures its Hurricane Windows to meet and exceed national code requirements to provide you with the best and most trustworthly product for your large business or residential project.

7. Bubbub says:

I use them. Quick on. Quick off. No tools (especially wonderful if the power is out and you don’t have access to a battery-operated power drill). I would guess that they don’t work well on smooth brick. My brick has a rough texture. And yeah, they scratch the structure, but brick is pretty darn hard. I tried drilling through a brick and gave up. I had used 4 clips per window with hurricane Ike. Next time, I’m using 6 clips per window (my windows are bigger than “normal”).

On another note, I had used J-B weld to attach an L-bracket to the brick for holding the hinge post for my wooden gate. Not pretty but much easier than drilling through brick. Perhaps folks can get creative with J-B Weld for attaching stuff to brick if they don’t mind the mess and is willing to risk the fact that it hasn’t been tested for hurricane forces.

8. Bubbub says:

Update. Since replacing my windows with vinyl windows, the available window casing is no longer deep enough to allow me to use the PlyLox. Looking for another solution.

As far as the JB Weld: it didn’t hold. Doh.

9. Eugene says:

Did you find a suitable alternative?