Installing crown molding can be the hardest part of remodeling or redecorating a room — one wrong cut, one misplaced finish nail, one incorrectly angled miter, and the entire project falls apart. To make things a little easier, SoSimpleCrown offers pre-cut DIY crown molding, eliminating all the hard parts and leaving nothing but the installation.

SoSimpleCrown fabricates their crown molding from¬†industrial-grade high-density polystyrene and coats it with a proprietary skin for a smooth and durable finish — it boasts an estimated lifespan of 35 years.¬† You install the crown molding with DAP caulking adhesive available at any hardware store.

SoSimpleCrown offers 13 different styles of molding and ships them in 6-1/2′ lengths with corners pre-cut to your specifications.¬† Expect to pay anywhere from $25 to $40 for a single length, with discounts for buying in bulk.

DIY Crown Molding [SoSimpleCrown]

10 Responses to SoSimpleCrown Do It Yourself Crown Molding

1. dave p says:

I guess “SoExpensiveCrown” didn’t make it through the marketing test groups. 25 to 40 bucks for a 6-1/2′ piece? I guess being a DIY dipshit who can’t hang crown has its consequences. Honestly, at some point, either learn the skills or pay someone who has them.

2. Jim German says:

For a single 6′ piece, sure its expensive, but if you’re getting a whole room’s worth the price drops significantly and its only a bit more than getting the same stuff at Lowes. Although for the price I would excpect the corners to be coped, not mitered.

3. Toolhearty says:

…it boasts an estimated lifespan of 35 years.

Bummer. So the molding in my 106 year old home would have had to have been replaced 3 times if it were made of this stuff rather than wood (at least I would have been the one replacing it only once).

4. Rob says:

Aside from the cost, I can think of some other problems. A lot of people can’t measure accurately, a lot of houses have corners that are not perfectly square, and since they come in short 6.5 foot lengths you may have more (and more noticeable) seams.

5. Alan says:

I don’t know why people think crown mould is so hard to do. All you gotta do is look in the back of the Brosco book!

6. Bob The Drywall Guy says:

I don’t believe people would trust their rooms to be square enough to have the miters done off site, by people that have never been in the room. I wonder if the finish is a thin set of plaster, or some other sort of plastic… If you want crown moulding,you’re going to have to learn to cope.

7. Clark Schnell says:

I went to the site and even purchased molding for my bathroom. The people there are great and precut my entire bathroom free. Went up in minutes and looks fantastic. Total cost was $72. I don’t know what you guys are talking about as far as expensive.

8. shaun says:

Ok, so I’m not a skilled contractor, but a quote for my dining room in 6 inch molding came in at $761. I used the same in foam and my cost was around $275.

9. Installed it myself and cut the carpenter out of the deal.

10. Contractor says:

“No more buying a 16 ft length for a 12 foot wall and throwing away a 4 ft length.”

Martin failed math in that GED course at the community college apparently.

Ummmmm,
    Buy a 6 1/2 ‘ length for $40 bucks…..or buy an 8 foot piece at Lowe’s for twelve bucks ($9 if you buy the cheap stuff). Even if I cut half off and just throw it away, It’s still $30 cheaper.

Can’t comprehend it? Lets check. In my bathroom I would need about 80 feet of crown molding. Buying Martins overpriced foam crap I’d need 7.69 pieces (we’ll just say 7 to give him a fair shot at this). Add in shipping, that’s $320 bucks.

Now, let’s go to Lowe’s and buy seven 8’ pieces of crown molding…..we’ll even splurge for the “fancy” kind….comes to $84.00 plus $6.72 tax plus $2 worth of gas to drive there. That’s

$320 VS $92.72