With Mother’s Day behind us, we’re a little curious about what Toolmongers gave their dear old moms on the day dedicated to her — but since not all moms are into tools, we’ll extend it to Father’s Day as well.  So here’s the deal:  We have here, already boxed and ready to go, one Stanley 30’ FatMax Xtreme tape measure for the best Mother’s or Father’s Day present given this year or in the past.

The rules are simple, since we’re bloggers and not lawyers.  You must, if picked, be able to provide picture proof that the parent in question actually has the tool in question — and no Photoshop workups of Dad standing in Norm Abram’s shop with a Stanley # 96.  We’ll select the best story/tool combo and announce the winner Wednesday, May 20th.  Then we’ll send the above box (with the tape inside) to their location posthaste.

To throw your hat into the ring, just tell us about your sweet Mother’s/Father’s Day gift in comments, and make sure the email address you use is one we can actually contact you at.  Good luck.

FatMax Xtreme Tape Measure [Stanley]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

11 Responses to Giving Tools To Mom And Dad Pays You Back

1. Toolhearty says:

…and no Photoshop workups of Dad standing in Norm Abram’s shop with a Stanley # 96.

What if your Dad is Norm Abram?

2. Sean O'Hara says:

Lol, then it better be one hell of a tool 😉

3. pjamestx says:

For Mother’s Day, my sister and I made laser-cut cookie cutters of our silhouettes. My sister hasn’t posted them on Instructables yet, but right now she has one of the cookies as her profile pic (http://www.instructables.com/member/scoochmaroo/ ). Mom loved ’em!

4. Frank Townend says:

I’m afraid both my parents died a few years ago, so no more sharing my hobbies with them. I do have several of my father’s old tools, including a Kennedy Mechanics Toolbox he bought in the 1950’s lovingly cared for, sitting on top of my workbench.

5. J Taylor says:

For Mother’s Day a few years back, I got my mom a Vornado fan, the small one. For those unfamiliar, it shoots a tunnel of air a long ways, quite a difference from a normal fan. It’s no diamond necklace, but she has used that fan darn near every day in the kitchen. Sweating over a hot stove isn’t nearly as much of an ordeal now she says. Every time I come home for the holidays, she’ll thank me again, so I am pretty sure she actually likes it. The fan is a hoss of a tool as well, I don’t think it will ever die! I have a Vornado of my own now…

6. ShopMonger says:

I made my mother a candle holder out of some beautiful; cedar…….

holds a large pillar candle…….

7. Zeros says:

I was tired of always seeing my dad having to switch the batteries on his weak maglights, so I got him a Streamlight Stinger flashlight for father’s day. Not only was it rechargeable, but much brighter than his old maglights. I think he finds a use for it every day or makes one up just to use it. A flashlight is a tool, right? I like to think so.

8. Ben says:

It may not qualify, not being a tool, but as part of my gift, I replaced 12 20+ year old worn out light switches for my mom.

I now have a stack of old mercury-style switches gathering dust on a shelf.

9. Kevin says:

like old times mowed the lawn : ) ,installed GE slimline under cabinet lights, GFCI receptacle and combo receptacle/switch for undercabinet lights, on Sunday put half a roof on a garage (tamko heritage).

10. Chris says:

Ben: Just curious, what “wore out” in a mercury switch? GE actually used to sell those with a 50-year warranty. There’s not a whole lot that can go wrong with mercury switches other than someone breaking them open and removing the mercury.

cl

11. Ben says:

Chris: Well, to be fair, only a couple of them actually qualified as worn out/broken.

One broke a pivot point and would not then stay in an up position, and another shorted out and caused much consternation for the parental unit. So she wanted them all replaced. I shrugged and replaced them all.

Thinking more about it, those switches were there when I was a kid so they had to be pushing 40. Not bad.