We’ve covered magnetic stud finders before, but rather than just indicate where a nail or screw is located, the Magic Stud Finder Plus leaves a little target stuck to the fastener — no marking up the wall required.

You put a target in the magnet holder and sweep the Magic Stud Finder against the wall.  When you come across a magnetic nail or screw, the target sticks to it and stays behind as you pull the holder from the wall.   The magnet holder also sports bubble vials for finding level and plumb, and the side is a ruler marked in inches.

Cool as it sounds, we do see a few downsides to this device.  First, the targets are small parts that could be easy to lose.  More importantly, magnetic stud finders don’t find the center of the stud — they only find fasteners that the last guy left in the wall.  There’s always the chance that the fastener is in the edge of the stud, or worse, it might’ve missed the stud altogether.

For $15 you get the Magic Stud Finder Plus magnet holder, three magnetic targets, and a free steel rule for some reason — it’s almost like one of those infomercials.  You can buy a pack of four extra targets for about $10.

Magic Stud Finder [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Magic Stud Finder Plus

1. Shawn says:

I wonder how these things perform when you have foil-backed insulation in the stud cavities…

2. tmib_seattle says:

I just use old hard drive magnets to do basically the same thing.

3. Jereme Green says:

Life couldnt get any better or easier with tools like this you got to love it

4. Zathrus says:

@Shawn:

The foil backing is aluminum, so it’s not going to make a bit of difference.

5. MarkPH says:

Yeah, I do like tmib@seatle, I used hard drive magnets. The drive magnets are so strong that after finding the metal nails in the walls, I could leave the magnet hanging. Also if you don’t have small neodymium to use as place holder, you can use a lead pencil and marked where you found your nails. Luckily, for me I got some small neodymium magnets from wine boxes for free. I store my magnets in an M&M mini tubes. Leaving a few magnets at the end of the container and the rest inside the tube. The magnetic force locks the magnets inside protecting it from falling out if the top is left open. Since, it is also inside the tube, I just swipe the tube over the rug to pick up small metal screws, nails, needles, or debris that I accidentally dropped on the floor. After use, I just bring the bottom end near the metal hinge of my wooden shelf and the tube magnetically hangs upside down away from my other metal tools and electronics.

6. Mike47 says:

My wife is a good stud finder… no matter where I hide, she finds me.

7. Shawn says: