A while back Toolmonger reviewed a Finishline AlligatorBoard with a patriotic flag pattern. I can’t see hanging tools off a flag — it just doesn’t seem right to me — but I could work with this black and white checkerboard pattern.

This 20-gauge steel pegboard features a tough exterior and not-so-tough installation — it comes with mounting hardware that’ll hold up to 90 pounds when mounted in wall studs. It gives the appearance of a finish line flag on your wall, and it seems like a perfect match if you’ve got checkerboard-patterned floor tiles or floor painting.

The strong, stable 16″ by 16″ panels come in a pack of nine that’ll cover almost eighteen square feet of wall — plenty of storage to hang your larger tools or the things you use most often.

The nine-panel set will run you about $170.

Checkerboard Pegboard [Finishline]

11 Responses to Finishline AlligatorBoard In Checkerboard

1. Pepster says:

I understand this looks nicer than pegboard, but it’s about 10 times the cost! I just have to ask – WHY!?!

Why bother spending $170 when I can get a 4×8 sheet of perf hardboard for $17?

2. George K. says:

“Why bother spending $170 when I can get a 4×8 sheet of perf hardboard for $17?”
    And with about $10 worth of tape and paint, one could make their own checkerboard design (or any other design)…

3. Jim says:

I think it is both unattractive and decreased the functionality. You can hardly see the black clamps against the black background. For aesthetic reasons, the tools in the picture are arranged to take visual advantage of the squares. From a practical sense, you would want the flexibility to arrange your tools in the most efficient manner from both density and visual registration, which may not be the most visually appealing. JIM

4. russ says:

I agree with George paint and tape or just paint it one color that fits your needs best. I wonder how many seconds that fire extinguisher lasts, 5 or 10s maybe?

5. Brad Justinen says:

thanks for sayin it Jim

I will save my breath

6. rjerryc says:

Uh, what? Is there still someone out there hanging all their tools on pegboard? Well, okay, if you must have them out on display. I guess we are all proud of our tool acquisitions but please, please tell me that you really don’t draw the pictures of each tool on the pegboard! That is way too 1950’s military shop looking.

7. Jim says:

Dear rjerryc,

I am a hobbyist, but I have a large functional shop (~2300 sq ft). So, I assume you have all your tools in cabinets. My steps and actions are deliberate and never wasted. As I go for a tool on a pegboard, I know it is there before any movement (visual registration), and retrieval (and pull-away) is fast and one-handed. Map your actions with a cabinet/drawers. On your journey you must pick the correct drawer ( easy with common items, less so with less frequently used tools), you open the drawer with one hand, then select the tool with the other, then you have to close the drawer. If the tool is not present (or misplaced), you only know after you arrived at the cabinet and opened the drawer. Then you must start your search. Security aside, pegboard is much more operationally efficient that storing tools in a cabinet. Pegboard (and cut-outs) offers management-by-eye (you can visually see what is missing). I do not cut-out simply because I get new tools and am constantly revisiting my placement (Although it is interesting that some non-pegboard fans buy ‘sets’ and the associated inserts for inside their cabinet drawers…how is this different then tracing your tools other that the fact that you are letting someone else determine what is the ‘important’ set of tools you should own). I place my most frequently used tools on pegboard (~150 linear feet) and my remaining tools in cabinets. ….Just my 2 cents….JIM

8. MarkPH says:

Same as Jim here, rjerryc. I have a really small space and I find that peg boards are the way to go for us hobbyists. Most common tools must be placed for quick and easy access. Because of easy access, it makes it more likely that I will do the work rather than shove it off for another day.

I also do the same with softwares I write. If a user can benefit from even 1 less key stroke, it’s a big improvement. Because if a user has to click on several button everyday, that adds up. After awhile it’ll become a pain and annoying.

I also own several computers, but the only one I used for programming is the one I always leave on. That’s because I don’t have to turn on another computer, wait till windows starts, and roll my chair over to the next table. It’s the same as using peg boards, the tools are already there available to use. I dont have to go to the tool box digging for it, use it, and return to the box.

9. Dexm says:

Jim — one of the most interesting observations I’ve read on the tool blogs/forums: that the tool inserts/plastic trays are akin to pegboards. Especially significant when you think about how often the poor old pegboard gets denigrated…:)

10. aaron says:

hahah another pegboard discussion. FWIW, i would love to have pegboard but i have yet to figure out a good way to mount it in my shop. doh.

11. Manny says:

I don’t know about this over priced stuff but regular pegboard in the shop rules. screw all the pegboard nay sayers. I just haven’t heard a valid reason not to have it. I like all types of tool storage. I just think pegboard is the best for a shop.