Double D Brands is selling the Swiss Tech Utili-Key for $6.49.  This compact tool snaps onto your keychain and sports a knife blade, three screwdriver blades, and a bottle opener.  Replace the one seized by the TSA on your last airplane trip.

Swiss Tech Utili-Key [Double D Brands]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

14 Responses to Dealmonger: Swiss Tech Utili-Key $7

1. Davo says:

Ha! The TSA missed my utili-key…twice!

These are great little tools, though.

2. Joel says:

I have one of these + I keep it on my keychain at all times. While its not the best screwdriver (philips or two sizes of flat), or knife, or can opener – having “good” tools with you at all times is impossible dute to size. Having this in your pocket is WAY better than not having anything at all – I wind up using it to open boxes, fix glasses, pull screws out of various things + am quite glad that I have it. I actually had to buy a new one about a year ago… airport security “found” my first one… they weren’t too happy with me.

3. Michael says:

I am pretty sure I saw these in Wal mart on the tool isle.

I had a knife “confiscated” by airport security–he put it in his own pocket before I had gotten 10 feet away!!!

Now I just leave my good knives at home and put a decent one in my checked baggage. It has been there at the end of about 15 flights.

While this tool would likely pass through security on a keychain, why not just put it in the checked luggage? Don’t donate your stuff to the security guys.

4. This guy says:

Seems like a cool thing to get for the price… and the TSA is one of the most worthless branch of the government to date… I live in a greater fear of the TSA than I do of terrorist when I travel.

5. pruitt says:

Michael,
    I know it’s neurotic, but it’s just the thought of needing to cut the seat belt and knowing that no one on the plane has a knife….

6. Zathrus says:

Michael,
    I’ve had one of these on my key chain for numerous flights, including international (to London, amongst others). And I’ve actually needed it on the flight before — since neither I nor my coworker could open the little freaking bag of peanuts they gave us with our fingers.

As for taking it away — I’d be absolutely stunned if anyone ever detected this unless you were a selectee. It’s virtually indistinguishable from a key on x-ray, particularly when attached to a key ring.

7. David Bryan says:

In 1973 I took my first flight, going to Washington for the National Spelling Bee. I forget exactly what kind of pocket knife I had with me, but I remember it was fairly substantial, and they took it and gave it to the pilot and told me to get it from him at the end of the flight. And that’s what I did.
    They took my mother’s sewing scissors, and kept them, and told her she could retrieve them on our return trip. When they looked for them, they were gone– all they had were lesser quality scissors, but they paid for a new pair to replace them.
    Now they won’t let you on a Greyhound bus with anything resembling a pocketknife.

8. Copguy says:

Interestingly, in Massachusetts these are considered a concealed weapon, and carrying them can technically be a felony. I’d really stay out of Logan Airport with them.

9. _Jon says:

I love mine.

10. Bill Schuller says:

I sure miss mine. It disappeared along with my truck keys months ago. The utili-key will be the least expensive to replace, if I ever get around to replacing anything that was on that ring…

11. Sebastian says:

This is a great tool. I carry a gerber almost 100% of the time, but for those times that I’m without, this thing is invaluable. While it takes more effort, I can do most anything with this that I can with my full-size multi-tool.

Also, I flew once and forgot it was on my keyring, and was surprised once on the plane when I realized that I still had it. Since then, I never take it off. Great to have around.

12. Robert Blackmon says:

I’ve had mine for about a year and a half and it is handy when I remember that I have it…the philips tip broke first time I tried to use it and the “eyeglass” size tip doesn’t fit any glasses I’ve found yet.

13. gary says:

darn…mine just got nabbed by tsa. I have had this on me for about 11 flights so far. oh well, time to get another. merry christmas tsa goon.

14. beav says:

Mine have passed through about a dozen flights without detection. What I don’t like about ’em is they’re too brittle. First one I had the phillips tip came off; second one had the hook that attaches it to your keychain snap off. It fell off my key ring while while driving!
    Still like it, though.