To follow up on the aforementioned sad state of affairs:  I have the home shop up and running again.  It’s not perfect yet and there’s still a ways to go, but I did manage to make room for two big pieces of gear — Chuck’s big Delta planer and my father’s ShopSmith have both come to live with me.

It’s a super-sweet turn of events, but I quickly found out I know precisely zip about setting up the eight tools the ShopSmith’s got going for it — so I’ve been poring over manuals to learn how to calibrate this hunk of wood-mangling hotness.  Also, I need to drop a 240 plug in the shop for the planer.

Speaking of the planer, here’s a handy tip for you folks setting up your own home shop:  Suggesting to your other half that you’ll just run an extension into the laundry room and unplug the dryer when you need it — not a good plan.  Who knew?

8 Responses to Editorial: The Home Shop — Less Sad

1. Mike says:

How do you like the shopsmith bandsaw? I’m looking into getting a bandsaw, I have the room for a full size one, but also have a shopsmith I could get the attachment for.

2. Mike47 says:

I’ve used a Shopsmith bandsaw for over 20 years and love it. It’s mounted on an old Mark VII that was my Dad’s. Hint: Get the upgrade kit for the table, bearing kit for the blade guides and a few assorted blades and you will know bandsaw happiness! It takes some tweaking to get the unit in tune, and some patience with Shopsmith’s unique way of designing things, but unless you do factory production, the Shopsmith bandsaw is super for home use. Another plus is the way it saves floor space if you already have the Shopsmith.

3. ShopMonger says:

Sean,

Nice!…..it does feel great wqhen you finally get it organized doesn’t it. I just re-did my shop (adding tools , jointer, planer, dovetail jig, ect….)

The Shopsmith looks great. Keep up the great posts. Sorry haven’t posted much…… But i will be around more again

4. Don says:

After looking at the picture, I am envious. It is really nice to have space and be able to set up the machines so you have some type of workflow.
    In the process of ‘downsizing’ I get one car area of the garage. It makes for challenges when you have a project to try and complete.
    As for that 220 extension cord, you might as well bite the bullet and see what you can do to get your own circuit. Sharing does not seem to be an option. Especially if you want your clothes to be dry before you wear them.

5. paganwonder says:

re: 220 drop in the shop- run 3-4, you find lots of uses for them if you have them- from my experience

6. Patrick says:

Clothesline. You’re in TX anyways.

7. ambush says:

if your panels in the garage you’ve got it made, too bad everything’s drywalled. You could always combine two outlets on opposing phases with a home-made extension cord. Oh and twist-lock outlets are the shit. with the four pin ones you can plug 120 and 240 volt devices into the same outlet.

8. dusty says:

This is a great machine for any woodworker and especially for the home hobby wood worker. The company has been around for a very long time and is as ready to provide customer support today as they were the day they opened. The design of this machine is so stable that nearly all parts for even the earliest machines are still available – because they are used in today’s brand new machine. You won’t get that kind of support of any other wood worker power tool manufacturer today. I have a nearly full up shop using equipment from Shopsmith. I am very pleased with all of my equipment from Shopsmith.