Ah, the sweet smell of rebuilding carbs!  Many predicted that the advent of fuel injection would relegate this delicate task to the same fate the cranked automobile suffered;  not so.  Longtime reader Peter P. has rigged out his workbench with all the goodies you need to make life easier on you, including a handbook –- which, no matter what anyone tells you, you need.

I believe Peter’s rebuilding this monster for his Cobra Mustang.  I could be wrong, but that’s about the only vehicle I’ve seen in his stream that would require something this large.

Hats off and beers up to you once again, my friend. May your quarter-mile times be low, and may your tires last more than a season.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

13 Responses to Flickr Pool: Fun With Carbs

1. Mitch says:

Inline 4 cylinder motorcycle carbs. Plus, he says that they’re for his Suzuki Katana 🙂

2. Jon says:

Since when do carbs need a TPS? I think those are throttle bodies.

3. PeterP says:

Mitch has it right. Rebuilding the carbs on a Suzuki Katana 750 and adding a jet kit. Got it all back together and balanced last night!

Thanks for the nod!

4. J.G. says:

This is just too funny, Its almost exactly what my workbench looks like right now. I’m rebuilding my buddy’s carbs for his Honda cb750. Very similar quad carb inline 4 setup.

5. Trevor D. says:

@ Jon: Plenty of carbs use a TPS for ignition timing adjustments based on the amount of a/f coming in. The Triumph Bonneville line has been using them for years, up until the 2009 MY where they switched over to FI.

6. Trevor D. says:

I should add of course that the FI models also use a TPS, which is a given.

7. Ryan says:

Don’t start giving my cobra to Peter. I paid for it, it’s mine. Besides, he doesn’t like cars with torque.

8. Sean O'Hara says:

LOL, had I but known I could do that I’d have given it to me instead! I love torque laden vehicles. However you do sound intent on keeping it. 😉

9. PeterP says:

It’s not the torque I mind, its the frame like a wet noodle and the 60/40 weight distribution. Never mind the track manners of a semi. 😉

10. Jon says:

Trevor D. thanks for the explanation. You learn something new every day. I should probably learn something about bikes, because it seems like a whole different ball game sometimes.

11. _Jon says:

I was working with a friend on one of my rides. He insisted he could rebuild the carb while I re-did the front suspension. His cars ran great, so I let him.

After about 30 minutes, he asks “Do you have the book for this carb?” I look over and he is sitting on the floor with the bare carb in his lap what seemed like 100+ parts arranged around him. Fortunately, I had the book.

It was a memorable event, however.

12. Adam says:

mmm… smoothbores.

Yes, i know those aren’t smoothbore carbs (i kenned on to the fact that they were sport bike carbs right away though) but I’ve been pondering swappng a set of 41mm carbs on my old Kawi. Even if i don’t get a big power boost, those things sound AWESOME.

13. Trevor D. says:

@ Jon: Ah you’re welcome sir. Glad I was of help!

Mikuni flat-slides are always a fun upgrade…
    link: