Hyde takes the venerable painter’s 5-in-1 tool and adds a bit holder and storage for four bits in the handle, in addition to the paint scraper, drywall knife, roller cleaner, crack cleaner, and hammer.  Evidently it’s supposed to save you from grabbing for a screwdriver when you need to remove hardware for painting.

Starting with the butt end, Hyde rounds the hammer head to prevent ripping drywall paper and gives the bit holder an internal spring clip for keeping bits in place.  They only over-mold the handle where it’s needed for grip, so it won’t stick in your pocket, and they tuck the bit carrier out of the way in the handle.  The hardened .065″-thick blade performs the traditional functions of a 5-in-1 tool.

If five functions aren’t enough for you, Hyde’s 10-in-1 tool runs about $10.

10-in-1 Multi-Tool (PDF) [Hyde]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to 10-in-1 Painter’s Tool

1. erin says:

It beats using a table knife, which is what I usually end up doing (not recommended).

Is it just me, or does that thing also glow in the dark? Is that the real 10th feature?

2. Gough says:

We carry Warner folding 10-in-1 painter’s tools. Much easier on pockets and truck upholstery. Carry one of these and a true multi-bit screwdriver and you’re pretty much set.

3. Mr. Peepers says:

It looks like a good idea, but I can’t figure manyways to hold it that don’t involve having sharp edges near your forearm (when using the screwdriver).

4. Jim K. says:

I’m with Mr. Peepers, this looks like something I’d think is a good idea “in a pinch” then after using it and finding myself with a 2″ gash in my arm would be throwing onto the floor in rage.

5. David Bryan says:

All that and no bottle opener? That’s nuts.

6. heywood says:

…and that’s easier than just carrying a 5-in-1 driver with you? I wouldn’t want to try to drive or loosen anything with that handle.

7. _Jon says:

I picked one up at the local big box that has a removable cap with two screwdriver tips inside. It also has a nail-puller and a bottle opener in the blade area. If it had a brush cleaner, it would be perfect.

8. John Laur says:

I had a similar painters tool with a popout screwdriver thing. It sucked bigtime; particularly since the latch on the bit holder broke the first time i tapped it with a hammer. This trend of adding screwdrivers to the end of the handle is stupid. Anyone ever tried the one on an “Open-It” blister pack cutter? Idiotic.

9. wow, this multifunctional tool is super cool!
    It saves you a lot of energy trying to grab everything..
    Thanks for showing this, especially with illustration!