Watching reruns of This Old House between shop-cleaning sessions this weekend got me to thinking about the Aussies — they seem to have a no-nonsense approach to problem-solving that works very well.  The episode I was watching mentioned a dishwasher setup that stores and washes the dishes.  I love this idea.

It negates the whole “Is the stuff in the dishwasher clean or dirty?” scenario.  It also removes an entire step from the list of chores.  Now when people make fun of my revolving laundry basket system, I can simply say, “It’s Australian-style laundry.  It never has to be put away in a drawer.”  I knew I loved the Aussies.

I wonder if they heavily favor tool carts where the tools never get put away either?  If so, I might have to move down under.

This Old House [Website]

12 Responses to It’s Just Cool: Aussie Thinking

1. paganwonder says:

I need a rotating bench top which is also self-cleaning. Now that would be worth any price (except my own labor of course!)

2. Chris says:

Actually it’s Kiwi thinking. I’m pretty sure that’s a Fisher & Paykel dishwasher. Fisher & Paykel is a New Zealand company with a pretty cool history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_&_Paykel
    Oh and the Kiwis hate being mistaken for Aussies.

3. Sean O'Hara says:

Werd, didn’t mean to mis-ID if that’s what went down. Just going off what I heard on the show. But now I’m going to have to look into it cuz I’m curious about it. 🙂

4. Dave says:

My wife and I very much wanted one of these when we recently replaced our dishwasher. However, the word from the shop was that these things get serviced a lot for leaks. What a disappointment, so we went with a conventional model with the door hinged at the bottom edge.

5. Kai says:

These things are great. It’s a Fisher and Paykel Dish Drawer.
    I don’t know about leaks, I’ve had mine for years now and not a drop has leaked.

You can get a single-drawer model, or the twin drawer model (that I’ve got) and the twin is essentially two independent dishwashers one above the other, so you can fill one and empty the other, or put one on for pots and pans and the other for delicate glassware.

And, yes, they’re a Kiwi brand, but I don’t hold that against them ^_^

6. Joe says:

If you start with a drawer of clean dishes, and you only take a few things to use, where do you put them when dirty. Maybe if you have several washer/drawers, and you always have one empty to put dirty dishes in it?

7. Chuck says:

We have had a two-drawer unit for at least four years and we have been happy with it. Only required service once, and they replaced a known weak part with a redesigned upgrade. I do tend to use it on rotation, filling one and taking clean dishes out as needed from the other. Each drawer is a stand-alone dishwasher so you can run them at the same time on different cycles. Very efficient since you are washing smaller loads and that works fine for us since there is just two of us. They do not have any “food-grinding” capability so you have to rinse your dishes first just like the old days, and they air-dry rather than having a heating element (no way to steam whole salmon in this dish washer).

8. Rob says:

two chores I never understood were putting away laundry and dishes. To this day I use a laundry basket for clean clothes and one for dirty, and keep my clean dishes in the drying rack. Life is full of tedious work. Why make more for yourself?

9. paganwonder says:

what Rob said!

10. sam jamieson says:

Dad’s a builder. He’s done it the cheaper way. He just puts two dishwashers in. One’s the clean washer the other the dirty. Cheaper than buying fancy dishwashers. Service is cheaper too

11. James says:

I once rented an apartment with a cabinet above the kitchen sink. Instead of shelves, it had wire racks in it and no bottom, so when I washed the dishes I simply stuck them in the cabinet for drying and storage.

Absolutely brilliant. I’m surprised I haven’t seen it since.

12. paganwonder says:

James- too European? Sounds like a very useful method.