Computers seem to be infesting new vehicles so fast, I can’t keep up with ’em all — computers for emissions, engine management, braking, climate controls, and probably for the poser seats.  When it comes to maintaining all these systems, I can pull codes out of most vehicles, but then I usually end up researching the fault codes on my computer;  so why not use my PC as the scanner, with the AutoEnginuity Scan Tool?

The AutoEnginuity Scan Tool lets you scan ODBII-compliant vehicles with your PC, Pocket PC, or Palm device. The tool connects via your USB port, RS-232C port, or Bluetooth connection. It’ll read the trouble codes, perform a live monitor of sensors, and perform system resets to clear fault codes. With the included SpeedTracer module, it’ll also monitor performance times and speeds for the 1/4 and 1/8 mile and for many other performance benchmarks.

The AutoEnginuity Scan Tool sells for $250 — you can also buy optional expansion modules for advanced tests and annual upgrades.

Scan Tool [AutoEnginuity]
Street Pricing [Google]

9 Responses to AutoEnginuity Scan Tool

1. Yurko says:

This technology has been available for VW/Audi vehicles for quite some time now: http://www.ross-tech.com/

it’s super awesome, and you can run logs of all kinds of stuff as well.

2. MattM says:

AutoEnginuity’s actually been around for a while also- I’ve used this software a few times in our shop. I’ve got to say, when it makes a connection it provides a very versatile feed of information; but as often as not it doesn’t make a connection, or only connects to basic OBDII and doesn’t allow you to diagnose anything more complicated. The very last thing I need to do is shell out $250 for software that typically doesn’t do much better than my two-line $60 pocket scanner.

That said, it shows a great deal of promise, and one day these guys are going to wow us with something awesome.

3. techieman33 says:

to expensive for what it is when I can buy a flash programmer for a little under $400 that will do the same thing, and get extra performance and gas mileage to boot.

4. This guy says:

I’m a VW dealer tech and I can say that if you work on VW or Audi cars, VCDS from Ross Tech is the BEST scan tool for VW/Audi. It does do OBDII support for cars that use the OBDII ISO 9141-2 protocol… rice burner cars, Euro cars and oddly, some Jeeps.

I’d suggest a cheap netbook, like the Asus Eee 1000, they are easy to carry around when getting in and out of the cars and have good battery life for when you go data logging.

5. DanS says:

If you have a Nissan, there are about a dozen programs that can read ECU status. Just buy a Consult cable and pick the software you like best.

Even works on some pre-OBD cars. It works great on my 89 GT-R, 90 Z, and 91 240sx.

6. Mitch says:

How can it work on pre OBD? Won’t the OBD connector be absent? Nowhere to plug in the Consult cable and no ECU signals to pick up even if you could?

You have an ’89 GT-R??!! Very cool. Right hand drive import, I assume?

7. Kevin Kleber says:

Might be a little lighter on the features, but I picked up a USB OBD scan tool on ebay for about $27 shipped from Hong Kong. The drivers were already included in windows XP and it came with a disc of freeware/demo code reader and engine computer interface software. Perfect for the small-timer. Works great, helped me through diagnosing and fixing a misfire.

8. DanS says:

Nissan used Consult before OBD was developed. Yes, imported to Canada.

9. Dennisb says:

For the money it’s hard to do better than a Genisys (OTC3861 DLT) for professional use. It’s a couple a grand but it accesses most systems in most vehicles.

A simple code reader may do pretty well for most do it yourselfers that aren’t needing to get into ABS, SRS etc.