How often does this happen to you:  You’re lying in bed and the wife asks, “Honey, did you close the garage door when you came in?”  You can’t remember, so you get out of bed to check.  You can avoid this whole scenario if you install Xceltronix’s Autocloser.

You need an extra outlet close to your garage door opener, since the Autocloser runs from 110V power.  Installation seems simple enough — basically, you mount it to your garage door opener, connect it to the wall button terminals of your garage door opener, and mount a reflector to the J-brace.  It monitors the door position by bouncing an infrared signal off the reflector, so you need to do a little adjusting to make sure it knows where the garage door is.

When the door opens the Autocloser starts its timer.  When the timer finishes, the Autocloser emits both visible and audible closing alerts and then closes the door by closing the wall button contacts.  The timer can be set to close the door after 2, 5, 10, 15, or 20 minutes, and you can override it with a disable button if you want the door to stay open.

The Autocloser retails on its own site for $50, but be careful — some retailers choose to charge more.

Autocloser [Xceltronix]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

6 Responses to Autocloser Closes The Garage Door For You

1. mhardy says:

I had one of these in my old house along with the i-opener option (digital keys.) It took a while to get used to it, and my wife never understood it, but it worked great.

2. Brau says:

Peersonally, I don’t like the idea of closing a garage door automatically, for three reasons:
    1. Often the door’s safety features fail or are not properly set/maintained.
    2. not being present to make sure some little tyke isn’t playing marbles under it.
    3. you forget the timer is on and leave your car halfway out (so you could get that stepladder or box) only to return to find the car damaged.

A better idea is simply a device that tells you if the door is open or closed so you don’t get out of bed needlessly.

I come home every weekday, park the car, and hit the close button as I enter the house. It’s enough of a habit that one saturday I habitually hit the close button while entering the house and broke out the rear window of the car I had just polished. Because of the near vertical angle of the strike, the safety did not actuate until too late. $700. Ouch.

3. Michael says:

I have to agree with Brau; I often walk the dog and go out through the garage door, leaving it open for my return. It would annoy me to return to the door being closed. I also don’t like the door being operated w/o human intervention, and I’d guess the insurance company wouldn’t like it either. A quick look around found this website with some products that would tell you if the door is open or not. You could also cruise around http://hackaday.com/ to do it yourself. For those less inclined: http://www.specialtyalarms.com/site/1313932/page/470292

4. mhardy says:

I don’t disagree with Brau. I should mention, though that the autocloser has a loud(enough to be heard in the house), obnoxious alarm that beeps for a good 2 minutes before it starts the door.

5. mhardy says:

In my case, the reason I bought it was that I had a travelling job. I lived alone at the time, and would have to get up at oh-my-god-early to go to the airport. On more than one occasion, I got a call from my neighbors that day or the next saying “did you MEAN to leave your garage open?”

6. pruitt says:

Ditto with the “makes-me-nervous” group. I often leave the door open to mow and I know I wouldn’t always remember to disable the device!