Whether for carpentry, woodworking, or home improvement, every Toolmonger needs a tool belt to save you from running back and forth for tools or materials. I found my old tool belt in the Sears clearance aisle in the ’80s so it’s about time for a replacement, and this ToolRider GSR Gelfoam Suspension Rig looks like a good option — a full harness with gel padding helps support the fully loaded belt. .

The Brown Bag Company makes this tool belt from ballistic nylon with rubber-reinforced stress points. The belt holds your stuff with 30 assorted pockets, loops, and hangers, including two hammer loops and special pockets for cell phones, square, knife, and chisel.  The pockets close with Velcro and they’re adjustable.

The ToolRider GSR Gelfoam Suspension Rig sells for $100.

ToolRider GSR Gelfoam Suspension Rig [Brown Bag Co.]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

11 Responses to ToolRider GSR Gelfoam Suspension Rig

1. PutnamEco says:

Synthetic bags make me feel like a clam. Sweat does not evaporate from under them. I much prefer leather, if I need extra padding,make it lambs wool. I like Occidentals green building framers tool belt set. When I feel the need for suspenders they have their leather work suspenders. All made in USA too! They are a bit pricey, but if you take care of them they will easily outlast most other tool belts.

2. Eric says:

If you need suspenders to hold up your belt you are probably carrying to much stuff

• e`mar says:

A belt that is tight enough to hold up 5 to 10 pounds of tools/hardware restricts the circulation to your legs. Wear the belt loose and support it with suspenders. Years of wearing tight belts will contribute to back, hip, knee, leg, and foot problems from long periods of reduced circulation to those parts of the body.

3. Jax says:

If this had a built in and approved harness for those working at height I could see a point to it, otherwise carrying that much gear isnt good for you day in day out no matter how you spread the load.

4. dylan says:

I use a supension because without it my tool belt usually pulls my pants down unless I really tighten the belt. I don’t carry that much.

5. Michael Pendleton says:

I switched to an apron from a tool belt precisely because I was tired of having my pants sliding down all day. If I’m going to be showing those parts of my anatomy, I prefer to have a willing, voluntary audience…

(I carry a Fat-Max 16′, pencil, whatever hand tool(s) are needed for that particular job and two hand-fulls of drywall screws. Not a ton of weight, but apparently enough)

6. toolbelt says:

tool belt hurts my lower back, I switch to fishing vest.. Work best for my line of job. I work on carrying less tool for job 🙂

7. HollywoodBob says:

I actually switched to a Battle belt with MOLLE pouches, and a load bearing harness. It’s vastly more suitable for my job, in that I can configure the pouches anyway I want, and carry a hydration pack, all without any strain on my back, shoulders, or hips. Plus most of my pouches have Velcro lids on them so I’m not spilling tools and fasteners all over my truck.

8. HollywoodBob – that’s the same rig I use when string trimming (i have a trimmer that takes the inserted thicker string). Two quart canteen and a butt pack full of string. String trimming takes about two hours a week, think field fence and steep hills…. Sometimes I just spray about 10 gallons of Roundup and take a few weeks off.

9. Sean West says:

I like the look of this belt. I would like to get it what size waist will it fit?

10. Nicholas Vavrek says:

Same people that are complaing that having to many tools around their waist are the same people that are irritating on job sites walking back and forth and getting up and down from ladders all day to get stuff out tools out of a bucket and like wise making trips to get fasteners.