These inexpensive little locks will secure a sliding window while it’s open, much like putting a nail in the sash keeps a double-hung window from opening far enough for someone to enter.  Unlike a nail though, you can easily remove, replace, change their position, or even use them to keep the window shut.

Prime-Line extrudes these locks from aluminum and lines the middle of channel with vinyl inserts to protect the window track.  The locks fit both wide and narrow tracks — just position the lock where you want it and tighten the thumbscrew.

Two of these locks can cost you as little as a buck, but unfortunately that’s without exorbitant shipping charges.  You’re probably better off finding something like them locally.

Sliding Window Lock [Prime-Line]
Sliding Window Lock (PDF)
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

8 Responses to A Cheap, Easy Way To Secure Sliding Windows

1. Josh says:

Yep. I have at least one on all my windows. Much better peace of mind when leaving a window cracked open all night.

2. austin says:

Not as cheap as a scrap of 1x cut to the right length!
    obviously they would still work better on a single or double-hung window, but I’m guessing that they may only work on a vinyl window judging by the size of that opening – I know at least Pella windows offer limited opening hardware.

3. bender says:

I used to use a wood screw for this purpose, but of course, only on old, worn out windows. I wouldn’t want to do that with brand new vinyl ones! This is worth checking out….

4. Adam R. says:

I found them (or something very similar) at Home Depot for around a three bucks. They work well for windows and sliding patio doors.

5. Jim K. says:

Anyone have any tips for securing old casement windows? I’ve got a few at street level that I’d love to keep open a bit for air flow in the summer but don’t dare in my neighborhood.

6. Michael says:

Jim K.; I’m looking for something similar. Right now its just some 2×4’s cut to length with latches. Something that allows me to open/close them a little faster (and looks a little better) would be nice…

7. MeasureOnceCutTwice says:

These are nice peace of mind for a cracked window at night, but be careful of leaving a window open much further with nobody at home. I used these to secure a window with about a 3″ gap even when away from home – until someone pointed out that 3″ is enough to use the sliding window as a battering ram & drive the stop off. I used stops with pointy screws that bit into the aluminum track, but they still come right off. Not as worrisome with only a 1/2″ gap – still a little airflow.

8. Bob says:

What about double sliding windows (where both panels slide)? We have these in a house I just moved into, so while a lock like this can secure the panel that is on the inside, that’s useless when the outer panel slides as well. I’m not at all attached to being able to move both panels; what is the best way to secure the outer one?