We’ve talked about grass driveways before, but it looks like you can use these HardDrive panels from Presto Product systems without ripping out the soil and prepping the bed — instead you might be able to place ’em right over existing grass.

Molded from heavyweight recycled plastic, each 20″ by 40″ section will interlock with neighboring sections to create a driveway or walkway as large or as small as you need.  The square openings allow grass to grow, while the plastic grid supports the weight.  Since the driveway is mostly grass there’s about as much runoff as any other area of your lawn.

Although they can sell for as much as $4-5 a square foot — twice as expensive as drivable grass — doing less prep work probably makes the extra cost worth it.  A 20″ by 40″ panel costs a little over $20, but we’ve seen them go on sale for $12.

HardDrive [Presto Products]
HardDrive [Farm and Home Supply Center]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Instant Driveway?

1. Barri says:

I been looking for these for over the last 3 months. At last. No wonder i couldnt find them. Aint they normally called grass pavers?

2. ChuckBlack says:

I’m always leery of such a blatant photoshopped product image like that. Why couldn’t they take a picture of it really in action you gotta wonder…

3. jack says:

so I guess if you don’t have a ride-on mower or something similar with wide wheels then you’ll have to lift them up to mow the lawn?

4. Brau says:

Very interesting. I was considering placing a cinderblock/grass driveway but I’ll definitely check these out to see if they hold up over wet ground without bending/rutting.

5. RJerryC says:

You would definitely need a very smooth, level patch of lawn to place these on or they would pop up at one end when your tires hit them.

6. Michael says:

I agree with Jack – mowing over/around would be a problem. My other question is: how rigid are they? If the ground isn’t flat, will they flex or break?

7. KMR says:

That SUV is definitely going to fail emissions come inspection time…