hot-or-not4.jpg

After accidentally kicking the front access panel off the dryer, I noticed that it’s time to clean out all the lint buildup.  While I’m at it I figured I should probably clean the vent, too — in searching for an easy method to do this I found Harbor Freight’s vent cleaning brush.

Besides reducing the fire hazard, cleaning your vent supposedly improves the efficiency of your dryer — who wouldn’t want that?  The brush’s nylon bristles are mounted on a 10ft flexible steel shaft. The idea is you run the brush through a length of vent pipe, either by hand or chucked into your drill.  This loosens the lint stuck to the sides of the pipe.  Then you either blow the lint out the pipe or suck it out with a shop vac.

Is there any reason to splurge for more than the $3 Harbor Freight version, or is even that too much to pay because these type of brushes don’t really do much?  Is this tool hot or not?  Let us know in the comments.

Vent Brush [Harbor Freight]

14 Responses to Hot or Not? Dryer Vent Cleaning Brush

1. McAngryPants says:

I like what I hear when you suggest combining power tools with tasks like cleaning out my dryer vent hose. Tell me more.

2. McAngryPants says:

Oh, btw…hot. Going to HF after work to grab one of these. Was going to shove my shop vac hose through the vent hose this weekend (yes, I live a fast paced, glamors life).

3. lee says:

I tried to use one of these. If you have a short run of less than 5-10 feet it’s fine. Mines almost 40 feet. Ultimately, I was better served using my leaf blower to clear out the accumulated link.

4. fred says:

We sometimes get this job to do as part of a conversion from an electric dryer to a gas-fired dryer – where my plumbing company is called in to install the gas line. My understanding is that dryer manufacturers will generally not warrant their product when connected to a vent line in excess of 25 feet – with shorter – less flow-restrictive vent lines recommended. We prefer to reinstall new lines using rigid stovepipe – but when that’s not practical and the homeowner just asks that we clean the line – we ask for a signed release of liability and do the job using a brush hooked to a 20 foot long snake. I think that ours are actually made by Maytag – but I found this one online:

5. tgood says:

This brush works fine for very short runs. But nothing works better than the Linteater. You hook it up to your cordless drill. The rods are flexible enough to go around multiple bends. I use it almost every day for my work. I am not affiliated in any way with Linteater. I’m just a happy customer. http://www.linteater.com

6. Wayne D. says:

I like the idea of attaching it to fish tape. Might as well buy that too, because you WILL need it sometime.

7. JeremeGreen says:

It seems like a ok product but I am use to cleaning with a small broom

8. Michael says:

We have a short run and I just periodically replace the hose–that way I know it is ok. —Cleaning probably makes sense with metal piping.

9. Dexm says:

I use one that is like it that I bought at Home Depot. This one looks like it has, in one respect, a better design. It’s longer and more flexible. On the other hand, the HD version has a better “brush” at the end — it’s conical and that works for my set up a lot better than this flap wheel type thing!

10. aggiemike says:

A friend and I replaced the heating coil on an old dryer and while we had the thing open we took the leaf blower to it. Worked very well and was tons of fun.

11. Fabian says:

Another vote for http://www.Linteater.com here!

Question, are the lint-eater rods the same as regular wire-fishing rods? If so, seems like the wire-fishing rods would be cheaper.. and longer…

F.

12. William says:

I bought this at HF and used it to clean out my dryer vent piping. What works best is to run the handle through first and then pull the brush through. Worked extremly easy and was even able to make turns. I ran it thorugh twice and it really cleaned out the pipe. I even got this on sale for $2.99 – a deal if you ask me.

13. Len Duszynski says:

Hi,
    The 10-ft. version of this tool (#92396) is no longer available at Harbor Freight. I was on their site today because I have one of the above items and was looking to buy one for a neighbor.
    They still have a shorter version available for $2.99 (#96163).
    Wish they still had the older version.

Len

14. Jimmy says:

My vent line is about 16ft with a couple bends at each end. I bought the HF version because it was cheap. I used the HF version for years and worked well enough, but was somewhat difficult to push in through the bends after about 7 or 8 feet. The brush cable would bend and twist on itself. Also I would have to clean the vent line from both ends due to the short cable length. I purchased a dryer vent kit by Deflect-O, similar to the Linteater. I also purchased some extension rods. I like it much better. It feeds in and out easily and I can clean the whole vent line from one end and in a fraction of the time it took to fight with the HF version. Putting the dryer on air (heatless) dry while I am brushing blows all of the loosened lint from the vent. If I had to do it over, I would buy the Linteater type kit first, unless I has a very short vent line,