Normally when I’m testing one of the vehicles in my aging “fleet,” I’m lucky if I can stick a ground or a hot lead on a fuse box or something and have it stay there — more likely I’ll be balancing both voltmeter probes and trying to turn a switch while having to scratch my nose.  It’s just a pain at times. These heavy-duty test hooks from E-Z-Hook can help test those wires.

The hook at the end of the probe extends. Just capture the wire with the hook and let go — the hook closes down to clamp on the wire with 40 ounces of pressure, and a “tooth” on the inside curve of the hook pierces the insulation and hits the wires. The test lead from your meter goes into the hole in the handle. Now I can turn the key, look at the meter, and scratch my nose!

The shorter XJ sells for $7, and the longer XJL sells for $8 — sounds like a cheap way to end years of frustration.

XJ/XJL [E-Z-Hook]

9 Responses to E-Z-Hook XJ/XJL

1. bartsdad says:

NEVER use anything that pierces insulation on automotive wiring outside of the vehicle. All the holes do is give moisture a chance to get in and corrode wires and cause you even more problems. There are a ton of back probes and such that are more friendly to the wiring.

2. MeasureOnceCutTwice says:

That looks WAAayyy too small to get around a spark plug wire!

3. Michael says:

Don’t know about the “hot” side but for the ground I attach a long wire with an alligator clip to the negative side of the battery—that way I know I have a good ground–and I can attach the other end, again with an alligator clip to my tester. Now I can check connections anywhere on the vehicle.

Sometimes I have hooked the wire to the positive side of the battery to provide temporary power to test marker lights, etc.

4. Brew says:

I have been using these for years. The holes are so small they are self healing and you shouldn’t have a corrosion problem.

Brew

5. bartsdad says:

# Brew Says:
    April 9th, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Brew

I ‘ve been following up after mechanics that have used these for years and the holes definitely do not self seal.

6. Coligny says:

This thing have “Badi Dea” written all over itself…

7. phorton says:

I was taught in school that this was perfectly fine and for added safety you should put a dab of silicone over the hole.

8. bartsdad says:

That’s also not a good option because the chemicals in the silicone react with the copper wire and cause the same result you are trying to prevent. The only product I’ve heard of that is somewhat acceptable to use for that would be the liquid electrical tape from 3M. Still not an advocate of doing this.

9. David Bryan says:

Measure etc., you never want to punch a hole in a spark plug wire.