The GearWrench Roto Ratchet will help you get that ratchet where you need it — its head rotates a full 180 degrees for access to fasteners in tight locations.  At first I thought this product was unique to GearWrench, but then I saw a Kobalt version at Lowe’s;  either way, it looks like it might be one of those “I should have bought it” tools.

The ratchet is a fine-tooth model, meaning it takes less than five degrees of swing to activate the ratcheting mechanism.  The cushion grip is designed to help you grip the ratchet even when it gets oil and grease on it.

The two-piece set includes a 6-1/4″ long 1/4”-drive and a 10″ long 3/8”-drive and sells for about $50.

Roto Ratchet [Swenco]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to GearWrench Roto Ratchet

1. PutnamEco says:

I love the old version of Snap-ons, the one with the square screwdriver type handle, Great to start off like a nut driver then bend it over and torque it down.

2. Jax says:

I have the current style snap-on and although sometimes I worry about putting too much load on it, it has held up well and is pretty robust. The “speedwrench” action is the main selling point.

3. ToolGuyd says:

FYI, the Kobalt version is also made by Gearwrench/Danaher.

4. Joe Birmingham says:

I have the SK version. I believe they hold the original patent on this style of head. I’m quite fond of it.

5. Fred B says:

I got the 1/2″ quick release one from Harborfreight a week or so ago and the 1/4″ and 3/8″ set from Sears on Xmas, it looks to me only the handles are different. All were made in Taiwan.

6. Turner Joy says:

I assume what ToolGuyd says is true as I have seen other Toolwrench made or at least licensed tools under the Kobalt brand.

7. Turner Joy says:

err Gearwrench…what happened their.

8. madmikey says:

I have both the Gearwrench and HB version. All are well made and have saved my **S many times working on various vehicles. Gearwrench and HB are made in Tiawan and excellent tools. China is no where near the quality of Tiawan when making tools.

9. Dana says:

I’ve had the Snap-on version of this for nearly 20 years and it’s always the first ratchet I reach for. I first bought this as a bike mechanic for use when pulling cranksets but it’s versatility has far outweighed the price many times over. I say…everyone should have these in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2!