Craftsman’s LocBoard Tool Cart consists of two LocBoards, pegboard-like units that connect at the top, and a bottom “shelf” — the whole unit can hold 850 pounds.  While it would look really cool to fill up both sides of this cart with hand tools or specialty tools, I’m not sure if it’s practical for my shop.

The cart rolls on casters that will also lock it in place, and it weighs in at 88 pounds, minus the hooks which aren’t included.  This might work well in a shop with multiple mechanics putting the shared shop tools on there.  But I currently run three upper and lower chests, plus shelves and a couple of workbenches for tool storage, and the idea of hanging it all out in the open perplexes me.

The LocBoard Tool Cart sells for $900, which could buy a lot of cheap upper and lower chests.  I think I’ll just keep my original setup and move stuff around in my old Craftsman two-drawer tool cart.

LocBoard Tool Cart [Sears]

8 Responses to Craftsman LocBoard Tool Cart

1. Aaron says:

I think you could build a cheap version of this that would work just as well with some regular peg board, some angle iron and wheels for about $75 at the most.

2. Rob says:

A reader built a homemade version of this recently. Check the photo pool, you’ll find it.

3. russ says:

$900 and it doesn’t even come with a lochood set. You would think for that much they would throw it in. You can get the 4 panels with two 58 piece lochook sets for $400 leaving $500 to build the frame and casters. Or do what Aaron or Paul says.

4. Old Donn says:

1) $900 is pretty steep. 2) How do you secure the stuff on the pegboard? Unless you handcuff yourself to this thing, it’s contents will surely start growing wings. And, 3) Where do you put it? Don’t know about you guys, I’ve got no room for a rig like this.

5. cc says:

cute concept but that price tag is way out of line.

6. Fabian says:

I bought a similar unit during a Mervyn’s store furniture liquidation. Many heavy duty furniture parts used to display products are made using heavy duty steel or LEXAN which have standard pegboard hole structures.

I got it for about $45 and it’s slimmer than this one, so easier to put into a shop. About 1/2 the size, but what a steel.

You can really make out during store liquidations..

F.

7. Brad Justinen says:

I built my own version of this and also made instructions on how to make your own. My instructions made it to the final round of the Instructables.com & Craftsman Workshop of the Future Contest. Unfortunately i didn’t win jack, I guess Craftsman wants you to buy there cart instead of building your own – which i highly recommend

here is the link!

8. Rob says:

Brad, nice job on that. I can’t imagine anyone paying $900 for the Sears one. I mean, if you have the tools that you’re going to store on it, then you’re not far from being able to build it in the first place. The welder is the only thing someone might not have, but even so, you can get pretty far by drilling holes and using nuts & bolts.