Some folks’ junk is other folks’ furniture — it could be a spool of some kind, or a midnight curb-hunting raid on a beat-up couch with your three closest friends.  In this case, reader Tgtsfkncld decided his local market had what he needed, and he gives us the rundown on what he did.

This Sea Star Seafoods Crate was in the trash near the local produce/dried fish store. I took it home along with another one. I cut the lid into shelves and shelf supports. A bit of sanding and two coats of Shellac makes it look great. Doesn’t even smell like fish anymore. Pretty nice for free. This place tosses these things pretty frequently, so have a feeling there’ll be more fish crate projects in the future.

Seeing the final product we agree that they fill the part, plus they’ve got an instant charm that only comes from folks with creativity.  Add to that the fact that he didn’t have to lay out cash for ’em, just a weekend, and you’ve got yourself a winner.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

6 Responses to Flickr Pool: Fish Shelves

1. Bill says:

Remember when cod and cream-cheese came in wooden boxes? They’d make great part boxes to sit on these shelves.

2. Brau says:

I really like the concept and color! Too bad he didn’t dado the shelves in though, both for structure and esthetics.

3. Sean O'Hara says:

Hmmm, I assumed he didn’t dado the shelves in because he didn’t want to completely bust them apart and start over. I mean if you going to do that you might as well build new shelves. 😉

4. Louann Cunningham says:

So kewl, my father and his brother own this company it is located on the South Shore of Scotia and we still use the wooden boxes today

5. paganwonder says:

I think the shelf cleats fit better with the over-all concept. Great re-purpose with style!

6. JeremeGreen says:

That is pretty awsome and very creative cool project