A few months ago my truck’s clutch slave cylinder busted, and my shop space is on an incline so there was no way to push the truck in there, except with the tractor, which scraped the paint and made some small dents in the bumper — no biggie since the truck’s almost 20 years old with over 210,000 miles on it. Pulling it over 100 feet with a come-along would’ve taken too long, but the Warn PullzAll winch could’ve saved my day.

The winch works off standard 110V AC power and boasts 1,000 pounds of pulling capacity. It weighs just fifteen pounds, and its 7/32” cable is fifteen feet long.

The Warn PullzAll sells for about $200.

PullzAll [Warn]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

18 Responses to Warn PullzAll

1. Toolhearty says:

If you had to move a truck over a hundred feet, and the puller’s cable is 15 feet long, looks like you would have had to do it in at least 7 increments.

2. Yeah, but it would have been about 20 with my old-come along. Plus using the tractor was a last resort for me, I live in a rural are and getting pushing help is hard to come by.

3. Jason says:

Doesnt your truck weigh more than 1000lbs? Aslo wouldnt that 15′ cable get really short once you double it up to pull more weight?

4. Yep, the truck probably weighs in at over 3000 pounds, but I am not lifting the whole truck, just pulling it in the shop.

I wonder if there is some kind of formula for vehicle weight and the amount of force to pull it. You could probably factor in slope as well.

5. Jim German says:

Just depends on how good the bearings are in it. With low enough friction on a flat surface you could move anything.
    A little trig would figure out the additional weight from the slope.

6. Jason says:

If your pulling a 3000lb truck up a hill wouldnt you be pulling 3000lbs?

I’ve seen truck winches snap with with less than 1/3 of what they are rated for pulling on them. I wouldnt put my truck on this little thing. I could think of a million other uses for it however.

7. Ben76 says:

Ha! When I first saw the picture I thought the winch was tied to a harness around the guys waist…LOL I thought it was som kind of impact winch or something. LOL

8. Coach James says:

~force to pull up a low friction incline=(Weight in pounds/2.2) x 9.8 x sin of angle of incline.

9. Walter Cronkite says:

Yeah, with low enough friction you can move anything provided your friction with the contact surface is greater than that of the truck and the surface. The force required to pull a 3000lb truck isn’t 3000lbs, its the force of friction that must be overcome to get it rolling and maintain its momentum, even more so on an incline. The amount of mass you have to get moving is the problem, not its weight.

10. Yodels says:

My clutch hose rusted away one nite at a school function. While waiting for my wife to pick us up, my wise 10 year old said “can’t you just start it in gear?” That and a little slip-shifting got us home. Luckily only one stop sign and one green light! So…next time just drive the truck up!

11. Brau says:

My winch comes with a cable so it can be remote controlled from a distance, for safety reasons in case of potentially lethal cable failure and snap-back. I find this model a bit disconcerting having the controls on the unit itself. I do like the size, weight, and portability though. There are many times I’ve wished for this in place of my come-along.

12. bartsdad says:

# Yodels Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 10:36 pm

So…next time just drive the truck up!

Obviously you’ve never seen a semi tractor shove a work bench through a brick wall. I’ve seen a mechanic try to limp a truck into the shop with a clutch problem and he wasn’t able to shut it off in time and punched the workbench right into the office. Not a very safe operation. Please err on the side of caution.

13. tgood says:

Last time I had a clutch slave go out, it was on my work truck. Clutch slave and the throw-out bearing were all in one. Since that required pulling the tranny and I was working 13 plus hours a day, I had to wait for the weekend. I drove that truck at least 400 miles without a disengaging clutch. It’s actually pretty easy to do once you get used to it.

14. Jim K. says:

I’m with Brau. Having seen what can happen when a winch line fails (NOT pretty) this looks like an accident waiting to happen when some poor guy tries to pull something just a bit too heavy.

15. diluded000 says:

I’ve got a snatch block on my winch, but I use it for slowing things down more than anything. In theory it should double the pulling force.

Speaking of theory, pulling a 3000lb truck straight up a 90-degree wall would take 3000lb. In this case there wouldn’t be any rolling resistance, since all of the weight is on the winch line.

Now picture the wall tilted to 45-degrees. Half the weight of the truck would be on the wheels, and half would be on the winch line. With no winch line, all of the weight would be on the wheels; but put a scale under each wheel, start pulling, and the load would lighten. For this case you would have to pull at 1500lbs plus half whatever it takes to overcome the rolling resistance to get the truck rolling on flat ground.

On flat ground, you just have to get the thing moving with your winch line. All of the weight of the truck is on the wheels, so you are at maximum friction that contributes to the rolling resistance. But you don’t have to lift the truck at all since the weight stays on the wheels. I would guess it takes about 200lbs to get a truck rolling on flat ground.

So to estimate how much force it takes to pull a truck, just take the (roughly) 200lbs to get it started and add the percentage of the weight of the truck. The percentage to use is the percent of 90-degrees your uphill angle is. (ie at 45-degrees it is half the weight of truck, at 22.5 degrees it is a quarter the weight, at 11.25 degrees it is a quarter the weight, etc)

16. Stewie says:

My guess is that the winch has a limiter which would stall the motor or a clutch slip mechanism that would stall out well before the breaking strength of the cable in the unit.

I wouldn’t be concerned about the cable breaking and whipping me in half.

17. fritz gorbach says:

We have one of these at work. Mostly we use it for lifting large motors and pumps in to place on their bases, but we did pull a broken down truck in to our service bay with it. I couldn’t be sure of the weight, but a loaded van weighs more than 3000 pounds I’m sure.
    Personally, I don’t for it as a lifting device, because it’s bulky, sometimes awkward to get at the controls, and unless you spring for the cordless model, you have to get power to where you are using the unit. Most of the time, I prefer a small chainfall or some sort of ratchet puller.
    As a side note, the unit does have a series of led lights which indicate what percentage of rated force is used.

18. Bill Rowan says:

Geez, stop spending money. Disconnect the coil wire, or whatever else won’t make it start, put it in gear and turn the key.