You got a flat tire on the side of the road, but since the discount tire place torqued your lug nuts down to about 200 ft-lbs with their impact wrench, you can’t even budge ’em.  Then you remember you have the Gorilla Power Wrench in the trunk.

Gorilla Automotive Products builds their Power Wrench from hardened steel.  The wrench telescopes to 21″ allowing you to apply more torque than the lug wrench that came with your vehicle, and it collapses to 14″ for storage.  The Power Wrench has a 1/2″ drive which can be use with your own sockets or with the two included dual sockets that fit 17mm, 19mm (3/4″), 21mm (13/16″), and 23mm (7/8″) lug nuts.

You can spend anywhere from $18 to an incredibly high $50 for the Gorilla Power Wrench, but that includes the durable vinyl carrying case.

Gorilla Power Wrench [Gorilla Automotive Products]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

15 Responses to Gorilla Power!

1. Geoff K. says:

I hope the guy in the picture realizes he’s tightening the lug nuts, not loosening them. ;^) Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey…

2. jason says:

If Discount Tire impacted your lugnuts to 200ft/lbs on you have another problem… studs sheering off. It is my understanding that every Discount Tire will tighten using a torque wrench to the required 60-75ft/lbs depending on the size of the your lug stud diameter.

i have used the gorllia wrench for years, it serves to break lug nuts easy, and telescoping feature makes it easy for nuts that haven’t been turned in years.

3. Benjamen Johnson says:

@jason:

Let’s just be clear here, I said the discount tire place as in a generic tire shop, NOT Discount Tire. I didn’t mean to slam anybody in particular.

As for torque specs, in my the manual the torque spec for my truck is 140 ft-lbs. I figured 200 ft-lbs isn’t out of the range of the possible.

I know I’ve gotten my truck back with the lugs torqued a lot more than 140 ft-lbs, because I torque my lugs whenever I replace a wheel so I know what it feels like on my truck to remove a lug torqued to 140ft-lbs.

4. techieman33 says:

And that’s why I loosen my lug nuts as soon as I get home and torque them down to the proper specs.

5. DanS says:

I have one of these in every car I own. Can’t count how many times I’ve been saved or saved someone with it. Most of them are knock offs, but I do have one real Gorilla. It is nicer than the off brands, but it’s not $40 better.

6. Jonathan Peterson says:

what techieman says.

1st thing that happens when we get a new car, is test how to jack it up and change the tire and making sure the lug nuts are removable.

I have a folding 4 way metric lug wrench from pep boys that I keep in whatever I’m driving and it’s always worked for me.

7. MattC says:

Nice wrench. However, I have a 4 way wrench (Craftsman) that has served me well for the last 10 years. I might look at picking this up for my wife’s car.

8. Barri says:

Just had to do my lug nuts on my truck today and they are qouted at 150ft/lbs. Dam tight

9. bartsdad says:

For as often as I’ve changed a flat on the road, a tire iron works fine for me. I’ve got a shop full of real tools for work at home. All lugnuts are always torqued to spec and the threads are anti-seezed. I know this technically affects the torque spec, but I’ve never had a nut I couldn’t easily get loose.

At work, most of the newer trucks wheel nuts are torqued at 450-500 lbs-ft. Torquing 60 lugnuts with a 4′ torque wrench is a bit of a workout.

Also, don’t forget to check the air pressure in your spare tire. many mini spares require a rather high air pressure for safe operation. I usually do this when I’m rotating the tire in spring and fall.

10. David Bryan says:

When I was a youngster I thought I knew all about righty-tighty and twisted a lug stud off trying to take a tire off of my ’70 Dodge Dart. Nowadays I have a bent lug wrench I use the handle of my conduit bender on when I have to, or I stick a jack under the handle. That looks like a fine thing, but I never thought of paying extra for a permanently installed cheater, even with a nifty durable vinyl carrying case.

11. _Jon says:

I agree that some of the folks putting lug nuts on go overboard with the impact. On two occasions asked the person to back off the nuts and do it again so that they weren’t so tight. I once watched the guy go around 3 times with the gun sitting on the nut for a full second. Having broken studs, bent pry-bars, moved cars, and melted rims, I’ve long despised over-torqued lug nuts.

12. rg says:

Odd that you should mention. Last week I bought a set of off road tires for a good price from the local GM dealer. I had the new tires mounted on a new set of steel rims I supplied, in place of the alloys that were on my truck. When I came to pick the new wheels up, they said that installing them on the vehicle was included in the price, so I figured, what the heck.

Mistake. I had them reuse the lug nuts from the alloys, since they were the right type, and they dutifully pounded them on with an impact wrench. Nothing I couldn’t redo with a torque wrench. That was fine — until they sheared off two (?!) of my wheel lock nuts, due to the thinner steel rims, which didn’t allow the lock nuts to thread down all the way before their tops broke off.

I wonder what they were thinking after they broke the first nut with their impact wrench, and then decided to go ahead and break the second one? I imagine they probably blamed it on “those crappy Mazda trucks”, which, by now, they have convinced themselves, are reknown for randomly snapping apart lug nuts.

Guess who owes me some fancy new wheel lock nuts?

13. shopmonger says:

I have one for a breaker bar and love ot use it to make things easier

14. Scott says:

I had a flat last Tuesday and couldn’t get the nuts to budge. I finally realized that the tire iron in my car fits perfectly into the handle part of my Club (as in steering wheel lock) once the extending part was pulled all the way out. Desperation breeds ingenuity 🙂

15. David Bryan says:

I’m with you, Scott. In my case it’s desperation + cheapness.