The popular romantic view of Old World pirates probably has something to do with the fact that no one has to deal with them anymore. Still, I couldn’t help but whistle a pirate song when I saw longtime reader Beano_t’s treasure chest.

Kids dig pirate swag, and this definitely qualifies. It looks to measure around a foot and a half long and about as much high, and the lid is cleverly built from pine strips fastened to curved spars to form a nice treasure-chest shape.

It looks like a great project to undertake on a Sunday afternoon. And if this rig is intended for an aspiring, Johnny Depp-influenced buccaneer, then it’ll be quite a gift — though I might be tempted to keep it for myself.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

9 Responses to Flickr Pool: Treasure Chest

1. Old Coot says:

Shiver me timbers matey! That is very nice.

2. Shellie Patterson says:

Sean – these types of boxes are also used by pre-1840 re-enactors/rendezvousers. I have several in my garage!

3. diluded000 says:

Arrrg. Me likes the coopered lid.

4. Joe says:

Yar, modern pirates don’t seem to be very cool. Maybe they need a nifty hat!

5. fred says:

About 30 years ago, I built my son a “treasure chest” from plans that had won a 1-sheet plywood use contest. It had a cutting plan that had little but sawdust leftover after cutting out a 4 x 8 sheet of ¼ inch marine-grade plywood. It used narrow strips of plywood along all 4 edges of each face of the box and domed lid. The domed lid was made by bending and gluing pieces of the plywood – adding a few strips longitudinally on top for strength and appearance. All of the strips were stained dark – while the flat panels and roof of the box was finished in a lighter contrasting color. There was enough plywood leftover to construct a till that rested on inside rails (also plywood strips). The top is hinged at the back with a piano hinge and is supported with hardware to prevent accidental rapid closure. Corners were reinforced with brass. The box is surprisingly strong yet lightweight – and is still functional after all this time and fairly hard use.

6. shopmonger says:

Yes very cool aslo used for fun toy box

7. Donald Stubbs says:

Hmm. It said ..
    Richard Johnson saved to Wooden stuff
    How to make a Treasure Chest This chest was made with scrap wood boards of approx And equipment Boxes Treasure Discover… Yet no plans.. Go figure. They lie in the headline just to get you to click the page.