hot-or-not4.jpg

These Micro Zip sanders look pretty sweet. We’ve seen their larger brethren around — we might even have one lying around the Toolmonger shop somewhere.  Basically these are just like the large versions, with hook-and-loop backing, but Hot Wheels-sized.

The gist of the sander is you can put it in tiny places where larger units won’t fit.  With the hook-and-loop system on the back you can replace the paper without chucking the entire thing.  Our question:  Does this work better than a little block of wood with sandpaper stapled to it? You wouldn’t have to buy special paper, and you could get a bunch of mileage out of even a half-sheet.

In our case we’d also have to be wary of our shop dog Talat mistaking the foam sander for one of his toys and tearing it to shreds.  So what do you think?  Is this a sanding savior or possible chew toy?  Let us know in comments.

Street pricing starts at around $12.

Micro Zip Sander [Gator]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Hot or Not? Micro Zip Sander

1. John says:

I’ve always used scrap wood and paper and some spray adhesive. the 3M 75 type spary will hold it and you can peel it off an re-use the block when you’re done. if you use the type 77, it’ll be harder to get the paper off, but a small scraper will usually do the trick.

2. Kurt says:

I do the same thing, only with scrap acrylic and thick superglue. You can even take a long strip of scrap, put a bend in it with one of those oh-so-cheap Harbor Freight heat guns, and have a nice handle for getting into really tight areas. I have also sanded bevels in the sides, and made round nose and pointed versions of these in several grits for getting into some nooks and crannies (which abound in model ships)

3. Ken says:

I wrap the sandpaper around an old felt blackboard eraser. Works great and doesn’y leave any gouge marks.

4. _Jon says:

I was just thinking of my need for that. I’m working on cabinet doors and I need something to get in there. I need a powered version ’cause I’m lazy.

5. txinkman says:

I’m going to get one of these. I’m always having to get into tight places and holding sandpaper onto a wood block gets really tiring real quick for these old fingers. Key for me would be a full range of grits. Haven’t ever tried the spray glue trick yet, tho’.

6. Eric says:

I like using blocks of rigid foam insulation. Enough structure so you can press down on it, but enough give so you can work it into corners. Spray glue’s a good idea though, I’ll have to give it a try.

7. Jim K. says:

I’ve been using spray glue on some thick foam rubber wrist rests that I was given from a company that no longer exists. Like the foam insulation it has both structure and give. I’ll be sad when I finally run out of my supply (which may be a few years yet since I’ve got a cr*p ton and they’ve been lasting pretty long before getting worn out.).