The rotating trays of Vestil’s mobile parts bin store your hardware so you can easily access it.  The mobile organizer also lets you bring your hardware with you rather than having to travel back and forth to go get it.  When you’re done with it you can easily squirrel the organizer away into any 20″ wide space.

This Chinese-made organizer supports a total of 220lbs of hardware.  Four 19-1/2″ diameter molded plastic shelves rotate around the 38-1/2″ rolling stand.  Spaced 8″ apart, the four shelves are subdivided into six 2-1/8″ deep compartments — that’s 24 total compartments for the mathematically challenged.

You’ll pay $53 for this rolling parts organizer.

Portable Parts Bin [Vestil]
Portable Parts Bin [McFeely’s]

10 Responses to Hardware To Go

1. tmib_seattle says:

Maybe I’m wrong, but this looks like a mess waiting to happen. The first time you’re rolling this across the floor and it runs into something (a bolt, screw, rock, etc) what’s to prevent it from tipping over and dumping the contents everywhere?

2. KMR says:

Tmib is right, the first thing I thought when I saw the photo was “that is gonna suck when someone knocks it over”…

3. ToolGuyd says:

I really cannot see something like this tipping over unless it’s being launched at high speed across a cracked floor. I can see it being easily knocked over by a careless worker, but doubt that it would happen often in most normal work environments.

That said, I don’t see this as “mobile” or “to go” since the compartments are all open. Now, if there were lids, a handle, and the unit collapsed down into a more compact and manageable size, I’d then consider it to be portable.

4. Old Coot says:

What the first two dudes said. Might as well just scatter your stuff on the floor cause that’s where it will soon be anyway. And $53? Gimme a break.

5. Joe Birmingham says:

I have seen these in factories at times. They never work as well as good old metal shelves with plastic bins. The unit above is not very flexible for different sized items. It won’t hold much due to the low edges on the bins. No one really wants to lean over to reach the low shelves.

The industrial ones I have seen are much larger and I have never seen anyone use them as a mobile cart. They just sit in one place.

6. techieman33 says:

Agreed it’s just a huge mess waiting to happen

7. fred says:

We use Rotabins in our shop

– along with one section of Stanley-Vidmar cabinets and racks

8. Scott says:

There are at least two problems with this design. 1) The trays are fully open face; 2) The space between the trays appears to be fixed.

If center pole was collapsible and to bottom of one tray covered the top of the one below it with the pole collapsed, only the top-most tray would need a separate cover. If extending the pole caused the wheels to raise and a sturdy large diameter base to seat on the floor, then the dang thing might be stable in use. I doubt the base would have to be much larger in diameter than the trays, so long as the user put the heavier loads down low. Think Christmas tree stand.

In such a design, it only rolls when collapsed and and the bins are securely covered. The hardware it stores can only be accessed when it is open and stable.

Of course that would increase the cost and require a more sophisticated design. Once you buy something like the design in the article, I don’t think the manufacturer cares that it performs badly. They got your money. On to the next sucker.

Like tools with no storage cases. It doesn’t seem like a big deal until you get it home and out of the shipping carton. Then you discover there is nowhere to store these purpose specific wrenches or any way to secure the tool in transit.

9. Mark says:

Yeah, That will NEVER get knocked over.

10. Frank Townend says:

I’m wondering if I could re-purpose it as a rack for my lathe tools with space below for chucks, etc. Drill holes in the top shelf, slip in (from the top) a section of PVC between the 1st and 2nd shelves, and ‘drop’ in my chisels.

Your thoughts folks?