Imagine carrying just one set of bits to the job site whether you need to drill into metal, concrete, wood, tile, or a combination of materials.  Bosch brings that daydream into reality with their multiconstruction bits.

They optimized the custom tungsten carbide head of their bits with multiple diamond-ground edges to handle a wide range of materials.  They give the bits steep spiraling ribbed flutes to clear dust and debris.  And so your drill can get a better grip on the bit, they softened the shank.  The bits are even tough enough to use in a hammer drill.

Bosch sells bits in diameters from 1/8″ to 1/2″ and in lengths of 3″, 6″, 8″, and 10″, depending on the bit.  Pricing varies depending on size, but you can pick up the 6-inch 3/8″-diameter bit for about $9 at Amazon.

Multiconstruction Bit [Bosch]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

11 Responses to Many Materials, One Bit

1. fred says:

This must be a European thing. Bosch is calling them Multi-Construction Drill Bits – which they seem to have introduced along with their new SDS-Plus Rebar Cutting Bits.

Irwin was selling a similar-concept bit (made by Joran in Denmark) called a Uni-Plus. I picked up a couple of sets at an Odd-Lot store for cheap. We didn’t find them terribly useful. I see that they may still be available:

http:/delancytool/www..com/_store/Display_Buy.asp?prodID=250334

2. fred says:

I also see that Artu (ARTU GMBH) is offering something similarly named:

3. ToolGuyd says:

Bosch’s brochure claims that it can be used with multiple material types, but every demo photo is of the bit going through these materials and into masonry.

I am also wondering whether this is Bosch’s replacement for their Blue Granite series of bits.

4. Yeah, the lack of availability except on Amazon and the fact they aren’t advertised on the main Bosch site confused me. Every other tool blog has posted about these bits so you’d think everyone would be carrying them.

I usually try not to post stuff that other blogs cover unless I can add something to it, but I just thought if these bits worked like they claimed they would be an awesome addition to a go bag for a home owner or a handyman. A handful of these and you’d be ready for just about anything, rather then carrying a set of twist bits, masonry bits, and tile bits.

5. fred says:

RE Benjamen Johnson Says:

I’m not sure that the targeted use is for “just about everything” or if its for the somewhat common situation where tile is laid over concrete, or concrete is faced or backed by steel.

6. @fred:

The innovative Multi-construction bit drills practically everything: from tile, masonry, wood, metal and concrete. The bit is extremely useful to installers who drill through multiple materials.

Plus if you look at the comparison chart on the bottom of the PDF, they show it drills through tile, stone, concrete, masonry, metal, plastic, wood, and glass.

They sure seem like they are pushing it as multi-material, but then again this is marketing, we’ll see what the picture looks like when people actually start using them.

7. David Bryan says:

I’ve been using the Artu and Joran bits for a long time. I like ’em. I don’t think of them as replacements for anything, they just keep you from messing up your other nice things when you forget to put a hole in something before you attach it.

8. fred says:

@ Benjamin Johnson:

I recall that this was the same hype given by Irwin for their Joran-Made Uni-Plus bits. Drill through composite layers of material – without stopping to change the bit. Sounded good – but like most compromises it was just that. We found that it was not a good tile drill – nor a good concrete drill – nor a good wood drill

9. Rob (PR Rep for Bosch Accessories) says:

@ Toolguyd – Anchoring in masonry/concrete is fairly common and concrete generally kills common bits faster than any other material, hence the prominence in the photography. They are not intended to replace Blue Granite bits since BG cannot drill through metal and M-C can.

@ Benjamen Johnson – Like a number of new products, availability is increasing daily. I know that Ohio Power Tools has them. Also, I offered up product samples, just let me know if you guys would like some to do some hands-on review.

@ Fred – They are intended for all materials. Having manned the Multi-Construction booth at World of Concrete, I can tell you they work well in all materials. But, you are correct, they don’t work nearly as fast as Bosch’s Glass & Tile bits in tile.

10. Mikey says:

Have been using these for about 4 years in the UK. Work really well for plugging in different materials – render, brick, stone, concrete block which when drilled with SDS can give really variable hole sizes, loose plugs or totally shattered fixing holes in weak materials so a that plug won;t even work. Better still a half decent battery combi drill is all you need because these bits cut more than smash their day through like standard wing head type masonry bits or SDS bits. They don’t lose their edge quickly either.

Not tried them on tile though.

11. Joe says:

Jack of all trades, master of none. No thanks.