Caulk Savers are another solution to the old problem of how to store that half-empty tube of leftover caulk — instead of just capping the tube stem, the 3″-long by 1/8″-diameter Caulk Saver stem penetrates into the tube, and the threaded design ensures a clear passage once it’s removed.  Although it’s named the Caulk Saver it’ll cap and plug adhesive, silicone, or any other product that comes in a caulk tube.

The Caulk Saver screws into the tube and keeps air out. Turning it clockwise draws the tapered part of the Caulk Saver into the tube, sealing it.  Turning it counter-clockwise removes it, cutting any dried caulk in the process.

You’ll pay somewhere between $1 and $2 for a single reusable Caulk Saver.

Caulk Savers [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

14 Responses to Yet Another Way To Save Old Tubes Of Caulk

1. Brau says:

Of course, the way to keep it from plugging is to keep the oxygen out, and solvent vapors in. My favorite old way of keeping caulk from plugging *used* to be Saran Wrap (TM) and an elastic band. Saran was once the only wrap that was oxygen impermeable, and I’ve had some caulk/silicone tubes last for years. Unfortunately they changed their formula and plastic bags and other cling wraps don’t work. I haven’t found something else that works as well since.

A device like the one pictured would soon be covered in dried caulk, wouldn’t seal well, and ultimately fail. Not much better than a big long spike.

2. bob says:

I do well with a nail and electrical tape. This would probably be fine if wiped clean as soon as it was removed. I just wonder if it is rigid enough to insert easily

3. Ken says:

This is really great find, I used to put packing tape over the ends of my caulk and it would end up at the bottom of the cabinet. It would lay there forever until I needed caulk again. Then I would not know how long it was there. So instead I would just go buy another one instead of fussing with trying to get the old caulk out to see if there was any usualble caulk left on the inside. Maybe I should start writing the date with a sharpie on the outside, that would solve half my problem. (now all I have to do is store a sharpie somewhere)

4. In my experience you can’t just use any old nails or screw to block plug the tube stem. Depending on what the nail or screw is made of or coated with it can discolor the caulk, especially if it is a light color. Sure you can just pump the discolored caulk out, but last time this happened to me it took about a quarter of the tube to finally get rid of the discoloration.

Also I’ve found that plugging the stem of a tube of liquid nails just doesn’t work for very long. Sure you might save the tube, but after a while the glue in the stem bonds to the screw and you can’t get the damn thing out without destroying the stem. I’m not sure this product would be much better with adhesives.

——————

@Ken: Marking the date you opened the caulk is an excellent suggestion. I mark the date I purchased glue, I don’t know why I didn’t think of doing the same to tubes of caulk, adhesive etc.

As for shoring the sharpie, anytime I have an application where I need a pen, for marking things like the date on glue for instance, I tie a pen on a string and attach it somewhere close to where I need it. Seeing the pen hanging reminds me to use it.

5. Joe says:

Ken & Ben: I know pockets can get full, but I keep a mini sharpie in one of mine almost always and I’ve found it to be well worth it. It’s saved me a number of times where a pencil or pen wouldn’t have.

6. rjerryc says:

I saw these yesterday “in the wild.” Good old Harbor Freight. I didn’t notice the price since I really have no need for one (or more) since many years ago I found that a wire nut screws onto the caulk tip and seals it just fine. Just squeeze a pinch of caulk out the end of the tube and screw the wire nut on. And wire nuts are very inexpensive so just use a fresh one each time.

7. paganwonder says:

rjerryc- good idea.

8. Brau says:

@ rjerryc

Brilliant! I’ll try it.

9. davesdiytips says:

Sounds good to me – will definitely try this. Thanks for sharing.

10. Recycleholic says:

Thanks to rjerryc and Ken I got two useful tips and saved a few bucks.

11. FB says:

…and until you can down to the store to pick some of these up, find a wire nut to torque down over the top – I’ve had pretty good luck doing that.

12. mcgrimus says:

Should definitely be the Mystery Object on Ask This Old House… 😉

13. I use plugs called Twist-n-Seal. http://www.twistnseal.com

I use them for sealing my caulk tubes and also the foam expanding sealant can straws from DOW.
    Caulk Savers do not have create an air tight seal and they are made in China.
    The Caulk Saver Plug called the Twist-n-Seal is made in the USA which is nice.
    Sherry

14. S J says:

Use a drill with appropriate bit size. Use a insulation tape if you messed up. I never had to throw any half used caulk tubes…