It looks like these four have their work cut out for them. That pipe they’re wrangling through what looks like a hand-cranked bender looks to be about 25’ or 30’ long and rather unwieldy. If you’ve never checked out reader Mdjordan523’s Flickr gallery, this type of thing is fairly common.

From what we’ve seen of their images, set-building requires an interesting combination of finesse and brute force that come together in snapshots like this one. We’re curious as to what they were constructing — but whatever it is, well done.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

7 Responses to Flickr Pool: A Lesson In Bending

1. PeterP says:

If only they had called Bender Bending Rodriguez. 😉

2. Cameron Watt says:

I’ve been there, was careless, and was appropriately rewarded with a shower of fluorescent tube fragments. Still cheaper than messing up a ceiling fan; they’re cutting it close.

3. David Bryan says:

Yeah, you might want to mount that sucker on its side.

4. Shopmonger says:

But if they mount it on its side we don’t get good entertainment

5. ttabob says:

Yea, i know some “set builders”, mostly film school types that don’t really have an affinity for fabrication, project management, construction, engineering, or have any other three diamensional problem solving skills.

Ever wonder why movies, commercials and TV shows are so expensive to produce? As an example…this picture shows four people doing what I would consider is a one man job. Turn that thing on the side, draw a template on the floor with a pc. of string and caulk, and tell the other three people to go do some other work.

I’ve worked on some of these jobs before, the industry is over staffed with inexperience. The majority of behind the scenes people are just working to be near “movies”. Sorta like a body builder working at a vitamin store.

6. Robert says:

I don’t think that bender has a crank, which would explain the 3 people. It also validates the comment about none of these people being engineer minded…

7. Cameron Watt says:

ttabob, that’s interesting to hear. It reminded me of some stories told to me when I drove trucks in Vancouver, British Columbia; a lot of movie work is done down there.

I heard stories from a couple of sources about studio truck drivers who had their BC class one licence, which covers everything on wheels except motorcycles, for years but couldn’t back-up a trailer to save their lives. Your comment took me on a nice stroll down amnesia lane.

In my defence:

The only slip rolls I’ve ever used were eight feet wide, motorized and anchored to a concrete foundation. They weren’t getting moved; let alone on their side. It depends what kind of work you do. In my worklife, I’ve only encountered a long bend in something small like what’s in the photo above just once; we farmed it out to a sheetmetal shop.

My “shower of glass” experience occured during a careless moment while working inside a welding booth with a low ceiling. After it happend to a few of us, we put plastic sleeves over the fluorescent tubes. The tubes still broke but you weren’t shaking glass out of your collar.