When I was sixteen and got my drivers license, my uncle gave me a gift that’s followed me for the last 25 years:  heavy-duty jumper cables, 20′ long and made of about zero-gauge copper wire. When my kids started driving I knew they wouldn’t appreciate such quality, so all the other “fleet” vehicles ended up with Wal-Mart specials that come in a plastic zipper bag and run less than $10.  I’ve noticed that those bags keep their cables neat and tidy, whereas mine are always getting caught around something in the trunk or the bottom of my bed box.  Bucket Boss’s Jumper and Extension Cord Bag has my name on it.

It’ll store jumper cables, extension cords, or whatever else you can cram in there. Extra pockets on the front can store small items, and it sports a handle made of a double-web material. The durable round bag is small enough to fit inside the spare tire on most vehicles that have the tire in the vehicle.

The Bucket Boss Jumper Cable and Extension Cord Bag sells for about $20 — jumper cables not included.

Jumper Bag [Bucket Boss]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

11 Responses to Bucket Boss Bag

1. P.D. says:

Duluth Trading has something similar, and they’re having a 20% off sale. Everything in the store is 20% off if you buy $100 or more. I have their bag and love it.

2. Zathrus says:

That looks cool, especially since I have the same problem of jumper cables perpetually wandering around the spare in the trunk. A bit pricey, but looks like it’ll last.

3. I bought this bag many years ago after getting sick of pushing the ends of my jumper cables back under the seat for the 10th time. I spent about $10 at Menards.

Right now it easily stores my 6ga – 20′ jumper cables. My old pair of cables that I used to store in this bag were ruined in an unfortunate incident involving leaving the bag of jumper cables (along with a bunch of other tools and clothing) in my truck tool box with a case of beer and half a case of pop for about a month in the summer. The bag washed right up, that was a plus. I didn’t feel I could trust the cables though after that.

4. Toolaremia says:

Listen kids, we are Toolmongers and Makers in a recession:

Take an old pair of pants (jeans preferable) or get a pair from the local Salvation Army for $1. Cut a leg off. Invert it and sew the cut end shut. Put it right-side-in again and stuff your jumper cables into it.

My Mom did that with a pair of my brown Sears Tuffskins when I was about ten years old and Dad stuffed the heavy duty jumper cables into them and tossed them into the storage compartment of the Brown Whale (1979 full size Olds Wagon).

Thirty years later I still have those same cables and the cut-off jeans bag in my truck. Use them several times a year to help out others.

Why buy when you can make something just as tough?

5. Toolaremia says:

@Benjamen: “Pop”? You must be from the upper Midwest. 🙂

6. Gary says:

+1 for Duluth Trading

7. Jonathan says:

The real reason to give your kids good jumper cables isn’t because they will or won’t appreciate quality. It’s because cheap ones often won’t work on really dead batteries, or aren’t long enough to stretch when someone’s broken down in an awkward place.

I had a cheap set through college, and one time, after I couldn’t get enough juice to run through the cables to start my truck, I learned the lesson. A good set of cables makes the whole process easier, and is well worth the money.

8. Dazrin says:

I have one of these that I use to keep my 20 foot long, 3″ wide tow strap in. It works like a champ. I have something similar (Bucket Boss 06100 Cable and Tool Bag) for my cables, a flashlight, and some flares. The cable and tool bag is about twice as thick, but essentially the same size around.

I love them both.

9. Shopmonger says:

Now a days…. parents just give the kids a AAA card…….. that way you don’t ahve to learn how to use tools…..SAD

10. paganwonder says:

Parents can’t teach what they don’t know, more sad. That’s how we got where we are now.

11. Dexm says:

I’ve got one for my wife’s car, with a flashlight and cables. And some gloves in case she needs to fix a flat. But she says she’ll call AAA 🙂

There’s also, as someone said above, the model with extra space for tools. I haven’t used that one. Just this one. Happy with it.

Now, to find out who makes the best cables (quality of cable, connectors, etc) and made in the USA?