Here you see three basic tools, a hammer, a screwdriver, and a utility knife — but wait a second, what’s that crap all over ’em?  “Eww, flowers,” you say, “and ugly ones at that!”  That’s exactly the point.  If you have to protect your tools from the grabby paws of fellow shop workers (I’ve heard stories of people rusting their tools so they’d be less desirable), and if you’re short a lockable tool box, these might be the next best thing.

This is another tip I picked up in a special effects shop:  Keep one of these three ugly flowery items in your box at all times.  Why?  Because the next time someone asks to borrow a screwdriver or hammer, they’ll receive one of these.  Most likely no one else will have one like it, and bam!– you’ll know who’s swiping your tools, or you’ll get it back, because no one wants to be seen wielding a flowery tool.

I found this three-piece set for $10 on Amazon — a fun gag or a potential trick up your sleeve, it’s up to you.

Flowery Theft Prevention Via Amazon [What’s This?]

12 Responses to Tip: Theft-Proof Tools

1. Gough says:

We had a woman on our crew who painted all of her tools pink. I don’t think she ever had a tradesMAN walk off with any of her gear.

2. heywood says:

I just engrave my last name on my tools and keep ’em close.

Haven’t lost any of ’em yet.

3. Cameron Watt says:

I can’t abide tool thieves. I had a problem, in the last shop I worked for, with tools being “borrowed” from co-workers; I painted everything hot pink.

As a tradesMAN the pink didn’t bother me, but it apparently didn’t bother my coworkers either. What it did do, though, is help me spot my “borrowed” tools on other workbenches!

I don’t know about any of you guys, but I have a personal policy about loaning tools:

-My helpers have free run of my tool chest. They’re not generally paid enough for me or the company to demand they get their own tools. If there’s a problem then I tell the boss what they need.
    -If I don’t need it at the moment and you ask nicely then you’re welcome.
    -If you ask me twice in a week then I’m probably going to suggest that you go buy one of your own; especially for something inexpensive of essential to your work.
    -If you return anything with weld spatter on it, you’re going to have a hard time getting a tool from me again.

These were the rules given to me by the first journeyman I worked under and I saw fit to use them myself.

4. Mike47 says:

Looks like they would be an encouragement to gay thieves.

5. heywood says:

@mike: lol

besides, what if you worked at a floral shop? they might get lost due to camouflage.

6. My dad’s an electrician and he has his name and social security number engraved on EVERYTHING, even his huge tool cabinets.

Over time I’ve gotten his hand me down tools, so I know his SS# number from memory….

7. Zathrus says:

Gee, so someone steals your dad’s tools and gets to steal his identity as a free bonus! Whee….

8. David Bryan says:

I like flowers. I bought my girlfriend a pink pickaxe and she lets me use it sometimes. I bought her some of these flowery tools at Ace Hardware, and they’re nice and pretty. About as good a quality as a lot of ugly ones. All other things being equal, I’d probably pick the pretty ones. If pinkness and flowers can make you feel too girly you might be a little bit girly to begin with.
    I like Cameron’s rules. It used to really steam my cabbages to get back my nice c-clamps with not just spatter, but grind marks or torch gouges on them.

9. paganwonder says:

My daughter loves these tools because they’re girly. I love my daughter because she is a tool user.
    For tool location on the job nothing beats hot pink.

10. Rob says:

My dad visited Russia a few years ago and brought me back the exact hammer pictured above, as a joke. He was impressed with the tool, because it contains 4 or 5 nested screwdrivers of diminishing sizes, like a chinese box. The smallest one is about the size of those screwdrivers that come in eye-glass toolkits. They all have knurled brass handles and steel tips. The hammer itself is too small to be very useful, but it’s fine for pulling smaller nails.

Every one of my friends who ever saw this tool in my possession has given me sh*t about having tools with flowers. One day I finally got fed up and sanded down the floral part and spray-painted it black. Problem solved!

11. KMR says:

Killian’s Hardware in Chestnut Hill (suburb of Philly PA) sells these, my wife bought one of the hammers for herself…

12. frank says:

Gay guys would steal ’em.