I first saw a digital rangefinder in the hands of the appraiser who was measuring the square footage of my third house.  It was a cool tool, but I didn’t think the casual use I would put it to would justify the couple hundred dollars they cost at the time.  Jump forward a few years — walking through the local hardware store I saw this Bosch rangefinder priced around $130, well within “almost reasonable” range.

Bosch’s Laser Distance Measure — I like “rangefinder” better — can measure from 2″ to 100′ with accuracy to 1/16″.  It’ll also measure in metric units, and it’ll measure distances as you walk them off.  The 4″-tall unit fits in your pocket.  Four AAA batteries will last for about 30,000 measurements, and it’ll do all the regular length, square footage, and volume measurements.

Now to find a project that requires an accurate electronic measuring tool.

DLR130K [Bosch]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

14 Responses to Bosch DLR130K Laser Rangefinder

1. Peter says:

I bought a Black and Decker laser rangefinder a couple of years ago. It made creating a floorplan of my house so much easier to do without help. It also excels in taking measurements outdoors where the distances are much bigger. Ever try and measure your property line with a 25 foot tape? Even a 100 foot tape means you’re dragging it all around. Just a suggestion – It’s best to do outdoor measurements later in the day when it’s easier to see the laser dot.

2. fred says:

I’m a fan of this type of tool – and we use them a lot.
    The first one we bought was a Craftsman Accutrac – on sale for about $50.
    I wanted to like it at that price – but it did not meet expectations.
    At about 6 times that price – we really like the 2 Leica’s that we have – and think they are worth every penny

3. BC says:

I used to use the Strait-Line “laser” tape measure when estimating for insurance claims. It’s surprisingly accurate, plenty enough for indoor estimating.

4. fred says:

The Leica is accurate enough for cutting countertops to fit.

5. Barri says:

I have had this bosch one for about a year and it so very accurate. I use it for crown moulding and qtr round and it is spot on everytime. Also picked mine up on ebay for about $50 new. The square foot function is also a great feature. It even has a feature to measure a distance even when something is blocking the laser. As an example you could measure the height of your rafter tails from the ground even when their is a porch in the way. I also purchased the bosch digital angle finder and that is also a great tool.

6. Chris Byrne says:

I also have this same measure; and love it.

I picked it up from Amazon on one of their gold box deals for $70.

7. I have this Range Finder and there is NO WAY it will do 30,000 measurements on one set of batteries.. Lucky to do 3000 I’d suggest.

Duncan.

8. Brew says:

I have this is the spectra colors and it works nice.

Brew

9. Ken says:

Bosch a fancy and overpriced Black&Decker

10. Barri says:

Nothing wrong with bosch kit. I only use makita power tools but the stuff i do have that is bosch has never let me down. Unlike people i know who own black and decker tools.

11. Mr P says:

I have the Hilti model and love it. Sorry if I’m not toolfroogle but Hilti tools outperform the competition with there cheapest model measuring 200ft and there more expensive one at 650ft at a accuracy of ± 1/25 inch and lots of extra features (witch I don’t need but) some people would want.

12. Shopmonger says:

Ken Says:

March 17th, 2009 at 10:48 am
    Bosch a fancy and overpriced Black&Decker

Is that truew of am i mistaken in saying bosch uses the laser and BnD uses sound waves?

13. Ken says:

I bought two Stanley 100′ laser rangefinders.Got a great deal @ $40 bucks apiece and they work great

14. Zathrus says:

@Shopmonger:

Yup, you nailed it. The ones that use sound waves are pretty much worthless, since the spot size gets huge fast. I believe the B&D uses a laser only to indicate what you’re “measuring”, but in reality it could be something completely different.

The actual laser ones (like the Bosch, Leica, Hilti, or Strait-Line mentioned) are extremely accurate. Just ask the US military. 🙂