We’ve all been there.  You go to the local big box and pick up what you need for your project, then roll it out to the car and start the real creative process — getting that oversized object home without a truck.  Here reader Lowside shows how he got his load of pegboard back to the shop aboard his Tc.

One might be tempted to snicker, but if you haven’t had to do something like this at least once in your life your time will come.  In this case it looks like he strapped it down well and covered the paint with towels, so we’re betting the pegboard and the Tc made it home unscathed — well-done, Lowside.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

15 Responses to Flickr Pool: Oh Yeah, It’ll Ride

1. Jim German says:

I feel for Lowside, I wish I had a better pictures, but here’s me carrying 7 16′ 2×6’s and a 16′ 2×12 on my homemade roofrack on my 325i. http://www.voidsmith.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=12534

2. Ffaelan Condragh says:

I think people only tend to snicker because they have seen the story of the super overloaded VW jetta. if you haven’t seen it, here is the link.

With thanks to Swapmeetdave for hosting this great story.

ff

3. Lowside says:

Yeah it actually worked out way better than I expected it to. The way the sunroof opens up on the tC you can just crack it to get the wind deflector to flip up which helps keep air from getting under the pegboard. I had the car up to about 40-45mph with the load strapped down like this and didn’t have any problems. You can also see through the window there’s a stack of 2x4s and 1x2s inside the car with just enough space left over for the driver and a passenger. Let’s hear it for hatchbacks…

4. Kris says:

Had to do this once when I bought a bench at Costco – had measured it and thought it would fit in my econobox. Well, you all know that old saying about “Measure twice”? When I got it to the car it would not fit by 1/2″. So I took the pieces out of the box and left the box.

5. John says:

Kudos, Lowside! I’d like to point out to everyone that the tC roof is all glass, from the base of the windshield to the base of the rear window — the only metal is the “frame” around the doors (from the A-pillar to the C-pillar), and there are no rain gutters to hook onto. This took as much guts as ingenuity!

6. blitzcat says:

a tc can also hold an eight foot stepladder completely inside the car, and various 96″ lumber

7. Andrew says:

the silliest haul I remember was a mattress no rope on a car roof over a bridge 4 people arm’s out windows holding those moving straps

8. DaveD says:

These sorts of trips are why I decided to get a cheap ($900) little toyota pickup from craigslist….. It isn’t the prettiest, but it doesn’t have to be, it just needs to haul.

9. Aaron says:

If you have the space in your driveway or garage, a little utility trailer is a very good option… mine is 5×8 with a ramp and a tailgate. Holds over a ton and can take everything from plywood to dirt to an atv. $1300 all in for a very solid steel trailer was worth every penny.

10. BigEdJr says:

I have thought about getting one of those cheap HF fold-able trailers for this kind of stuff.

11. Toolaremia says:

I hauled home a full-size Craftsman tool chest on a HF 4’x4′ trailer behind a twin-turbo ’93 RX-7. Guy at Sears thought I was nuts, but the hitch and trailer are rated for 1000 lbs. That’s a half-ton. Like the same half-ton capacity as a half-ton pickup. I also hauled large laser printers, wood, various other things, and of course track tires and equipment. So I second the ‘Get a little trailer if you can’t get truck’ advice.

Now I have a truck. 2500HD Dodge Ram. Hauls a bit more. 😉

12. Michael Pendleton says:

I just finished building and installing a basement bar cabinet, and my car is Geo Metro. (the 4-door, not the hatchback) I can fit a couple of 8 footers if there aren’t any passengers, and I regularly carry my complete install toolkit, which has some pretty chunky items in it (compressor, shop-vac, chopsaw), but the sheet goods still stump me! I’ve had to rent a van for that, and that’s just too expensive. I’m not sure where I would put a trailer when I wasn’t using it, but it sure would solve a whole lot of problems…

13. wackyvorlon says:

Quick point: It occurs to me that this completely obscures the rear window. I believe this is illegal in many areas, and can result in getting a ticket.

14. Chris says:

@wackyvorlon: Are panel vans and trucks also illegal in your area? I’m not sure how this is any different — those vehicles have zero rear visibility except via side mirrors, and this setup doesn’t obscure the side mirrors.

Not that I’m advocating what this guy did, just wondering what the logic behind the illegality (or not) of doing this is.

cl

15. Steve W. says:

Chris, logic doesn’t enter into the picture for those kinds of laws sometimes. You can’t drive a tiny S10 on Lake Shore Drive (or any boulevard) in Chicago if it has truck plates on it, but a carpenter I know has passenger plates on his full size four door Dodge with an eight foot bed, so that’s OK.

Oh, and don’t get me started on stupid laws regarding building permits required to put up a small low-roof Rubbermaid garbage can hiding type shed like things.

Steve