While FastCap’s My Grip probably won’t win any beauty contests, it might just be the most comfortable grip you’ll find for your power tools, hand tools, yard tools, or sporting equipment.  That’s because you mold the grip with your own hand.

It works kinda like those sports mouth guards you used in high school.  You heat My Grip fully submerged in 200ºF water for a minute until it’s pliable.  Then you dry it, making sure to remove all the water so you don’t scald your hand, wrap the My Grip around the handle so it overlaps itself, and squeeze the grip tightly for about a minute.  Allow the material to cure at room temperature before using.

Look to pay about $10 for two or $20 for four My Grips.

My Grip [FastCap]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to Make Your Tool's Handle Fit Your Hand

1. G says:

My husband says, “Could also be titled: ‘Make sure nobody ever borrows your tools again.'” (I told him that I ought to get some for MY tools, then ;))

2. _Jon says:

Good idea, but a point of contention and a suggestion.
    I change my grip on most tools depending upon what I am doing. I’ll ‘choke up’ on a hammer to increase accuracy. That’ll be kinda hard with this.

Second, if anyone gets this, make sure you go out and do some exercise or hard work while the grip is heating up. A person’s hands swell when working due to the increased heart rate and greater blood flow. If you make the mold while your hands are cold and you are relaxed, the imprint will create an outline that is too small for when your hands have grown during a work-session.

I learned the hard way that it is possible to crawl into a small space in the morning, but not be able to fit through the opening after installing a bunch of pipes and support brackets. I had to sit there – in that nasty crawlspace – for almost an hour until I had ‘shrunk’. Every time I tried, I would get excited and get stuck again. It *sucked*.

3. Old Donn says:

Aside to Jon. These things are cheap enough, just double up.

4. MeasureOnceCutTwice says:

I’d think they would tend to promote blisters, as parts of your hand not used to friction suddenly are in contact. And to expand on what _Jon says, I find I change grip as I fatigue just to the same muscles and patches of skin aren’t always in use – kind of like shifting your weight as you stand in one place for a while.

5. r47 says:

Could be useful for competition rifle shooters that don’t fit the mold of the available finger-groove grips.

6. Big Dave says:

This is sooo yesterday! Fifty years ago my dad taught me to customize grips on knives, guns and tools using “Plastic Wood”, made by DAP. We just piled a mess of it on whatever we needed to grip, grabbed it hard enough to make and impression and waited for it to dry, then sanded it smooth (or left it a little rough for greater friction). The nice thing about Plastic Wood, is it looks a lot like real wood, and you can stain it, and customize it in many ways. Og, and that solvent smell is gggrreat!

7. Lloyd says:

It should work great to prevent blisters, not cause them. Blisters are created by the friction of the skin moving against the handle/shoe/etc. With something like this, spreading the solid contact over a larger area, it should provide the most complete and comfortable grip possible.

8. Jim K. says:

OK so who is willing to drop the dime and tell us if it’s hot or not?

9. apotheosis says:

The Moties would approve.

10. Manny says: