Unclogging the sink or toilet is never a pleasant experience, especially if you have to call the plumber or break out the drain snake.  Before you resort to those extreme measures you’ll want to try your “first” options:  the typical plunger, or “water swisher” as I call it; the CO2-based units that shoot a small blast of carbon dioxide; or, probably the best of the “first” options, the Johnny Jolter from Metro Products.

You pull out the handle of the Johnny Jolter to load the unit with water, then push the handle to create a powerful jolt of water and hopefully break up the clog.  Of course, repeat as necessary. The unit disassembles so you can clean it if needed.  A flexible bowl adapter on the end of the Johnny Jolter fits most drains.

The Johnny Jolter sells for about $25.

Johnny Jolter [Metro Products]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

12 Responses to Jolt The John With The Johnny Jolter

1. _Jon says:

“Clean if needed”?
    — Are you kidding here? I’ve never needed to unclog “clean” toilet.
    I’m thankful that I only need to rinse off a traditional plunger. I wouldn’t want to have to unscrew and actually wash off something. Plus, if one of the kids uses and doesn’t wash it out right, I know I’ll one day wonder “What is that smell?”

hah!

2. BigEdJr says:

Good point _Jon. I can imagine that turning into an ill-advised “pool toy” ….eewww

3. Dave P says:

Sounds more like the “Johnny brittle-old-ABS-wasteline-exploder.” Nothing amuses the kids more than ‘jolting’ a big blast of doo doo into an enclosed stud cavity.

4. fred says:

We do this as part of our living.
    A good closet auger helps.
    We like the General Brand

5. KMR says:

I’ve never seen a woman look so happy to be cleaning / unclogging a toilet.

6. BG says:

I have seen first hand the blast of CO2 type go horribly horribly wrong. I is not a pretty sight or smell. Actually, the string of obscenities and rapid, continuous spitting didn’t sound to good either.

7. Jeff says:

Yeah, I agree with BG. Seems like high pressure + sh** = bad results.

8. Chris W says:

Fred is right, the closet auger is the best tool for this job.

9. Mr. Peepers says:

I agree with _Jon. No clogged toilet is ever clean.

This item is going to be too nasty to keep around after using it, but is too expensive to throw out. It leaves you in quite a sanitary/budgetary pickle after it’s use.

10. David Bryan says:

My outhouse never gave me that kind of trouble.

11. jim says:

I’ve found with the traditional plunger it isn’t the pressure stroke that does the job – usually that just tries to spray “stuff” all over the bath. The method I use is to gently compress the plunger, get a good seal, and yank it backwards. This tends to pull the clog free rather than jamming it harder in place. And it doesn’t make nearly as much mess.

12. Brau says:

The problem is that most people who don’t know how to use a standard plunger won’t do any better with a device like this. As Jim (above) mentioned, it’s the vacuum stroke that frees the clog. Rapid pulsing between pressure and vacuum helps break up the clog. When people use pressurized devices, they run a risk of blowing out the wax seal under the toilet, as well as making a mess of the bathroom.